RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH tree huggers & tree damage--correct links

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 8 2:55 PM
      Thanks for some very interesting information! I had never heard of emergency
      grafting of a branch to the damaged area to reestablish the phloem area. I
      have been observing a tree at my house where a large part of the bark was
      rubbed off by a riding mower. It was down to the bare wood, and was a size
      larger than an adult hand. The diameter was about 12". Within a year the
      bark had reestablished itself across the entire wound area. I feel fortunate
      that it survived the assault from the mower. Still, I feel that anything
      done be a strap that doesn't even rub the bark off entirely is probably
      easily survivable by the tree. If someone is still concerned about the strap
      being too narrow, there are plenty of sources to buy larger width strapping
      from.

      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15 8:18 AM
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich