RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH tree huggers & tree damage--correct links

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 8, 2008
      I think that bark is a corky substance which can handle a lot of abuse because it is made to by nature. In a real forest trees get old and fall against other trees without killing the tree they fell against. In the northwestern United States I have seen pines with scorching 20 feet high on the bark and the trees are still alive. It is a common thing to scrape bark down to get a smooth flat surface on which to mark a blaze on the national trails. Bears claw bark, deer and elk rub their antlers on it. To me the issue isn’t whether the bark gets a mark on it. The issue is if the xylem and phloem ( the thin band of actual live tissue on the tree trunk where sap moves up and down) are disturbed. And further, for how long they can be disturbed, and whether that is permanent. A tree grows out each year by adding new cells in a shape roughly like an upside down ice cream cone to the existing tree. IF the living band is damaged, do the new cells grow over that area next year? Trees can grow completely over a barbed wire wrapped around it and live on. So to me, what does the hammock do to the inner living part of the tree is the real issue. That seems like a function of the thickness of the bark then.

      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich