RE: Hammock Camping Digest Number 178

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 6:46 AM
      Aaron:

      I have several HHs and, like you, I find that the stock
      tarps are the barest minimum size possible. Still, the
      integrated design, quality of materials and construction,
      and compact package make the HH a "keeper" for me.

      When I know the weather will be tolerable and want to travel
      fast and light and simple, the original hammock set works
      well for me.

      When I expect nasty weather, I switch out the stock tarp
      with a custom-made 8 x 8 foot silnylon tarp, which I also
      pitch on the diagonal.

      I think the custom tarp is actually lighter than the
      Expedition model tarp, and about the same as the Ultralight
      Backpacker. (I don't know exact weights, sorry.)

      More importantly, I think you're missing an important facet
      of hammocking, that of collecting huge numbers of hammocks
      for no other reason than that you love them and need that
      unique feature that each and every model has.

      Bear
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1 8:33 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
        > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
        > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
        set
        > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a
        substantial
        > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me
        under
        > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
        my
        > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
        > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
        > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
        > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
        > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for
        me,
        > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
        > corners.
        > -Aaron

        I thought that the first few times I set it up myself (I also use a
        UL A-Sym). But I learned how to do it correctly and haven't had a
        problem since (and we've had a lot of rain so far this year). But
        the Explorer or Exped flys will increase the tolerance for sloppy
        setup so it's a good solution for only a few more ounces.

        BTW, I hang mine high (vs. the low to the ground folks) so I can
        walk under the fly. I also have a small (6x9"?) plastic cutting
        board I carry which I hang from the tree under the tarp & use as a
        small table/cutting surface/stove shelf. It saves me from having to
        sit on the ground to cook. I drilled holes through each corner and
        ran a 3' length of parachute cord through one set of holes (along
        the 6" side). I ran a 6' length through the holes on the other 6"
        side. When I hang it I put the side with the short cord against the
        tree and tie it using the cord. Then I take the long cord and bring
        both ends up at an angle to the tree and tie it off. Wa la! A stable
        table 30" high & only about 4 oz I think.

        Jim
      • rexhardy2003
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
          For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
          use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
          possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
          think?

          Rex
        • Joe O'Leary
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
            Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
            dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

            I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
            just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
            of 10x12

            Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

            -Joe

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
              coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
              underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

              Bill in Houston

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
              wrote:

              > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
              > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
              > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
              > think?
              >
              > Rex

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

                Coy Boy

                <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
                > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
                > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
                >
                > Bill in Houston
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                > > think?
                > >
                > > Rex

              • Richard Perlman
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Joe O'Leary wrote:

                  > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                  > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
                  > coverage
                  > of 10x12

                  Joe,
                  With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
                  Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

                  Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

                  Rich
                • Joe O'Leary
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Rich,

                    I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
                    be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
                    bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

                    I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
                    and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
                    hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
                    sack.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                      His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                      smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                      per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                      Bill in Houston

                      > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                      > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                      > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                      > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                      > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                      > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                      > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                      >
                      > Coy Boy
                    • Roby Dorsett
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                        Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                        Thanks,
                        Rob

                        _____

                        His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                        smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                        per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                        Bill in Houston

                        > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                        > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                        > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                        > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                        > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                        > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                        > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                        >
                        > Coy Boy

                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                          Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                          Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                          can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                          there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                          far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                          if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                          feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                          his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                          Coy Boy

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"