Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: HH tree huggers & tree damage--correct links

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 8, 2008
      Hi Graytatanka,

      That's rather what I was thinking--that I needed both wider and longer
      straps.

      I guess I can look at this past trip as a well-documented case that
      hammocks, even with tree huggers, can damage trees. It's good to know.

      Before I left that camp, I took pictures of the footprints left by my
      hammock (marks on trees, but not much visible trampling of ground) and
      my husband's tent (flattened grass). I know from a previous trip, that
      it can take >4 days before flattend grass will perk back up--depends on
      the grass, sunlight, rainfall, etc. Unfortunately, the trees will hold
      the hammock scars for the rest of their lives--which are already much
      longer than mine. My marks are now added to the machete slices and huge
      scars (4-6 feet long, covering as much as half the circumfrence of the
      tree) where Taiwan's aborigines removed the bark to roof temporary
      shelters.

      CL

      gene fields wrote:
      > I got away from tree huggers years ago. I use re-cycled seat belts.
      >
      > I retrieved seat belts from old wrecks in the junkyard, have a 4" loop sewn into each end I cut out of the car and one loop thru the other and with the buckle as the adjuster, I canhang from up to 30" diameter trees or as small as 6". Attach the hammock to a carabiner and then it to the protruding loop. Never saw damage to a tree in 15 years.
      >
      > Greytatanka
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich