Re: Who uses a vest to boost sleep systems warmth?

  • ypsyculman
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 4, 2008
      Always a double space blanket under my HH SS, any time of year.

      ??? I am a diehard SB user over the Underpad of my HH Supershelter,
      but have not heard of using a *double* SB before.

      How and why do you use two?

      Kurt

      REPLY:
      Two SB's taped together, one on the other with packing tape around
      the edges makes them more durable, and, adds a little stiffness, so
      it stays put better.It moves around to cover the entry opening quite
      easily. The SB is much larger than the hammock at the head end, and
      folds out between the hammock and over the undercover. It does not
      however add any heat advantage. A small piece of something (like the
      yellow pack towel) under the hips may be needed to absorb moisture
      from condensation that is easily transfered there from compression.

      I had origonally tried getting into the taped together SB's. As you
      can guess, it didn't take long to become very wet from condensation.
      I plan to try using a SB on top on my next trip, with a lite fleece
      blanket.
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15, 2008
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich