Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 178

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
      I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
      HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I set
      up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a substantial
      rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me under
      there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss my
      concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
      exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
      will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
      don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
      foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for me,
      rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
      corners.
      -Aaron

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, rosaleen43@a... wrote:
      > Hi, Aaron-
      >
      > I see you already have several replies to your E-mail. Please
      give your
      > inclination to return your Hennessy some more time and
      experimentation. I have
      > several Hennessys partly to accommodate the range of
      heights/weights that my
      > husband and sons challenge me to cover, partly because I like to
      show Hennessys
      > to the yet-to-be-converted.
      >
      > Keeping the fly attached and/or using SnakeSkins will keep rain
      out of your
      > hammock, as people have already mentioned. I saw suggestions to
      fold the
      > hammock body out of your way to cook under the tarp in the rain.
      I'm a bit lazier.

      > The last especially rainy day that I hiked, I knew that I'd get to
      a shelter
      > by 3 PM, or so. When I got there, I kicked back for roughly an
      hour,
      > boiled/simmered some home made and dehydrated salmon chowder, and
      just relaxed and let
      > myself dry out. It was great! Then I hiked in the rain, once
      again, until
      > it started getting dark. I put up my hammock in the rain, sat in
      the slit
      > under the fly to dry off and change clothes. With the mid-
      afternoon hot meal a
      > mere pleasant memory, I munched a Luna Bar (women's version of
      Cliff Bar) and
      > maybe a handful of trail mix. Then I slept blissfully. In spite
      of using a
      > location that wasn't especially pleasing, I was warm, DRY, and
      COMFORTABLE. The
      > scrub and sapling trees really blocked my preferred paths to tie
      out the sides
      > well, and the two trees I used for hammock support were closer
      together than
      > I liked, but that was the lay of the site I chose. I was still
      comfortable.
      > Maybe you are able to sleep on the ground, but I just can't.
      >
      > In mentioning cooking under your fly/tarp/no one suggested that
      you could
      > raise the leeward side of your fly with a stick or your hiking
      poles. I have sat
      > under the fly on my 1/2 folded hammock body to cook in inclement
      weather.
      > How the wind is blowing may keep this from always working, but,
      then, if the
      > weather is that bad, I might defer cooking for a while. You might
      also consider
      > using a piece of tarp material or your poncho to temporarily
      extend one side
      > or the fly to increase available sheltered cooking area. Ed's
      suggestion to
      > carry a larger, separate tarp would also work. Two more things to
      consider:
      > Sgt. Rock's poncho/tarp, (He had Moonbowgear.com make it for
      him.), or contacting
      > Tom Hennessy about a larger fly. He does sell flies separately,
      and they are
      > doing SOME special orders. He can advise you better on how, say,
      an Explorer
      > model tarp might work (or not) with an Asym Backpacker. The
      Safari Deluxe is
      > a palatial sized hammock with a hexagonal fly that could protect a
      family.
      > But it is too heavy for backpacking unless maybe the packer is a
      (Green Bay)
      > Packer. It's fly might be too long to use conveniently with an
      Asym, that's one
> [...]
      imagine we
      > can eventually cross paths to swap a look-see at gear. The CN AT
      begins not far
      > north of NYC. I need to do some sections down that way.
      >
      > Cheers!
      >
      > Rosaleen
      >
      > > From: "Aaron" <aaron@b...>
      > > Subject: Field use questions
      > >
      > > I've been playing around with the HH A-sym I received in the
      mail 3
      > > days ago. I set it up in the backyard and lay in it for a long
      time.
      > > I feel confident that I'd sleep OK in it, but I have a few
      serious
      > > concerns about practical use in the field:
      > >
      > > 1) The tree straps seem way too short. According to the HH web
      > > site's setup recommendations, you'd need to restrict yourself to
      > > 4" diameter tree to get the strap around twice. They seem
      woefully
      > > inadequate for real field use. If I want a longer strap it means
      > > have to drive to REI(or order it)and spend time sewing up the
      ends.
      > > Is that what you guys have done?
      > >
      > > 2) What do you do if you're setting up this thing in the rain?
      > > According to the design specs,the hammock goes up first, and the
      > > tarp attaches to the hammock line. I can see a significant
      amount of
      > > water getting inside the hammock in the time it takes to tie up
      the
      > > second side and when you'd get the tarp thrown over it. I can
      > > definitely see advantages of adding cord to the other tarp ends
      and
      > > tying that up first, independent of the hammock. Anyone doing
      that?

      > > 3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't eaten
      > > dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on the trail then
      > > hike more, but not always). Set up the tarp alone in-between two
      > > trees, cook under there, then set up the hammock beneath? What
      about
      > > if it's raining in the morning and the designated breakfast
      requires
      > > cooking (or you're a tea addict like me?) The hammock has to
      come
      > > down before any of this happens. In rain or colder weather, I
      often
      > > cook from my sleeping bag. I don't see any way of doing this
      while
      > > using a hammock. This restricts hammock camping to only the
      warmest
      > > of days or nice-weather days, at least for my style.
      > >
      > > It's not just about sleeping or keeping warm. I can see that
      hammock
      > > camping requires a fundamental shift in approach and thinking
      about
      > > how camp activities are done. I would appreciate detailed
      stories
      > > about how these obstacles are dealt with by you guys that are

    • Risk
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
        "Aaron" wrote:
        > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
        > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
        set
        > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a substantial
        > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me under
        > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
        my
        > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
        > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
        > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
        > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
        > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for me,
        > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
        > corners.
        > -Aaron

        Hi Aaron,

        It is interesting that we came to the same conclusion. I also sent
        my HH back. (BTW, the Hennesseys were really great about it.
        Wonderful service!)

        I admire your experiment. Real data is more useful than thinking
        about what might be. Your stove development is based on experiments,
        research, and improvement.

        Shane taught me something worth knowing about hammocks: don't worry
        about only getting one. Especially if you pull the old sewing
        machine out, there is room for oodles of experiments here. I
        have/have had a number of hammocks over the last 6 months. I have
        built them for as little as $30. And each one has taught me
        something new. I strongly recommend starting with the hammock Ed
        describes in his book... the directions for which are worth the
        price of the book.

        As far as the fly goes, I went directly from the HH diamond, to a 10
        x 10 ft (305 x 305 cm) silnylon tarp. It works great, but I was a
        bit concerned about the weight for my AT adventure. It was 18.5 oz
        (524 gm) with all tie outs. The hammock I was using at that time was
        30 oz (850 gm) including a taco shell insulator.

        Next stage was to test a silnylon tarp half that size, 5 x 10 feet
        (153 x 305 cm) which weighs 10.4 oz (295 gm). Hammock weight has
        also dropped and design has improved. Weight is now 19.6 oz (556 gm)
        for a total weight of 31 oz (879 gm) for both hammock and tarp.

        I find the narrow tarp to be dry even during horizontal raindrop
        storms - tested up to 30 mph with gusts higher. I would not try to
        cook in those winds, but for the average rainfall, there is enough
        room to pack or cook under the tarp while sitting in the hammock.
        This last point is important. While I can easily sit under the tarp
        on a tyvek square, it is much more comfortable to sit under the tarp
        using the hammock as a seat. This (besides sleeping) is where
        hammock camping shines in my eyes. Camping with this camp chair is
        much more comfortable for me than sitting on a rock or on the
        ground.

        OK... enough proselytizing.

        Have a fun day.

        Rick
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
          Aaron:

          I have several HHs and, like you, I find that the stock
          tarps are the barest minimum size possible. Still, the
          integrated design, quality of materials and construction,
          and compact package make the HH a "keeper" for me.

          When I know the weather will be tolerable and want to travel
          fast and light and simple, the original hammock set works
          well for me.

          When I expect nasty weather, I switch out the stock tarp
          with a custom-made 8 x 8 foot silnylon tarp, which I also
          pitch on the diagonal.

          I think the custom tarp is actually lighter than the
          Expedition model tarp, and about the same as the Ultralight
          Backpacker. (I don't know exact weights, sorry.)

          More importantly, I think you're missing an important facet
          of hammocking, that of collecting huge numbers of hammocks
          for no other reason than that you love them and need that
          unique feature that each and every model has.

          Bear
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
            > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
            > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
            set
            > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a
            substantial
            > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me
            under
            > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
            my
            > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
            > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
            > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
            > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
            > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for
            me,
            > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
            > corners.
            > -Aaron

            I thought that the first few times I set it up myself (I also use a
            UL A-Sym). But I learned how to do it correctly and haven't had a
            problem since (and we've had a lot of rain so far this year). But
            the Explorer or Exped flys will increase the tolerance for sloppy
            setup so it's a good solution for only a few more ounces.

            BTW, I hang mine high (vs. the low to the ground folks) so I can
            walk under the fly. I also have a small (6x9"?) plastic cutting
            board I carry which I hang from the tree under the tarp & use as a
            small table/cutting surface/stove shelf. It saves me from having to
            sit on the ground to cook. I drilled holes through each corner and
            ran a 3' length of parachute cord through one set of holes (along
            the 6" side). I ran a 6' length through the holes on the other 6"
            side. When I hang it I put the side with the short cord against the
            tree and tie it using the cord. Then I take the long cord and bring
            both ends up at an angle to the tree and tie it off. Wa la! A stable
            table 30" high & only about 4 oz I think.

            Jim
          • rexhardy2003
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
              For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
              use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
              possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
              think?

              Rex
            • Joe O'Leary
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
                dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

                I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
                of 10x12

                Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

                -Joe

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                  I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
                  coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
                  underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

                  Bill in Houston

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                  > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                  > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                  > think?
                  >
                  > Rex

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                    Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                    stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                    so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                    so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                    rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                    it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                    would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

                    Coy Boy

                    <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                    > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
                    > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
                    > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
                    >
                    > Bill in Houston
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                    > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                    > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                    > > think?
                    > >
                    > > Rex

                  • Richard Perlman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                      Joe O'Leary wrote:

                      > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                      > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
                      > coverage
                      > of 10x12

                      Joe,
                      With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
                      Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

                      Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

                      Rich
                    • Joe O'Leary
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                        Rich,

                        I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
                        be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
                        bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

                        I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
                        and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
                        hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
                        sack.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3, 2005
                          His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                          smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                          per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                          Bill in Houston

                          > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                          > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                          > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                          > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                          > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                          > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                          > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                          >
                          > Coy Boy
                        • Roby Dorsett
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                            Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                            Thanks,
                            Rob

                            _____

                            His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                            smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                            per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                            Bill in Houston

                            > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                            > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                            > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                            > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                            > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                            > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                            > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                            >
                            > Coy Boy

                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2005
                              Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                              Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                              can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                              there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                              far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                              if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                              feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                              his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                              Coy Boy

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"