Who uses a vest to boost sleep systems warmth?

  • billybob38801
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 31, 2008
      I use my BMW PG 14 oz parka and 8 oz PG pants to get about 20*F or
      more extra top warmth in my hammock, PeaPod or other systems. Or, I
      have used them alone at 50*F or slightly lower with no bag and a HH SS
      below, and was pretty comfortable.

      But I'm wondering how much a good vest could add to this? I'm thinking
      of this Patagonia down vest I have. It weighs 9 0z, and has an
      incredible 3.75" of total dual layer loft, at least in the thickest
      areas. It has a good seal around the neck and waist and pretty good at
      the arms. I can wear it under my 14 oz PG parka without compressing
      it's loft, or over the parka, or drape it on top of me around my neck
      and shoulders where it will loft up to contact the Pod and help seal
      off drafts if I have the pod breathing hole open. Or, I can just layer
      it under me down in the Pod to boost the warmth from below which
      should also help on top. Etc.

      At least that seams to be my theory of how it would or could work. It
      seems to me such a thick vest would help a lot, but I have never used
      one very much for this purpose. I have used it more down in my SS UC,
      where it seemed to help a good bit.

      Does any one hear have experience using vests for making a bag or
      quilt or pod warmer, and if so, how helpful was it? Do you feel that
      it is a lot of warmth for the weight, or not so much?
      Thanks
      Bill
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 15 8:18 AM
        Cara Lin,

        Have you thought about adding a "solid barrier"
        between you and the soggy fog?

        Perhaps Ed's 10' x 11' Winter Tarp?
        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Tarps.htm

        Rich