Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • amy
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30, 2003
      On Monday, June 30, 2003, at 12:53 PM, Dave Womble wrote:

      > Shane,
      >
      > I understand the basics of the 'sit, tuck & spin' procedure, I use a
      > similar maneuver to enter/exit a very small Sierra Design Light Year
      > tent. However, that was a two-dimensional problem, I was the only
      > thing moving. With my HH, it can bounce, pitch and roll if I am not
      > careful with my movements and postion. And then there is the issue
      > of clearance height and getting hung up with the ridgeline. I can
      > see me just fussing, wrestling with the ridgeline, the hammock
      > rolling and me falling out the entrance on my face. :-) But I
      > digress, you make it sound pretty simple...are you SURE you have done
      > this and would recommmend it to others? I mean, if this is true, it
      > shouldn't be too hard to access items on the ground without leaving
      > the hammock, would it? That would be really nice and would eliminate
      > the issue that 'you are either in or you are out'.

      I'm not Shane, but I've spent a fair amount of time reaching out of my
      hammock. As far as the hammock movement goes, with the HH
      it doesn't really matter. You can't roll it over, so the motion might
      be unsettling but isn't dangerous. I used to try to get it to hold
      still
      while I fooled around inside, but once I gave up and just went with it
      I accomplished my tasks (mainly getting dressed) more quickly.

      The only time I've been in danger of falling out was when I accidentally
      set my foot end down low. Normally when you're moving around in there
      you'll be tending to slide toward the middle/head end, assuming you
      don't make the Amy mistake.

      I usually don't turn myself around to deal with things on the ground.
      I generally
      set up my hammock fairly low to the ground. I, myself, am fairly low
      to the
      ground so I can't reach very high up trees to put the hammock higher.
      :)
      So if I'm sitting upright in the hammock, I can reach down to the
      ground pretty
      easily.

      I don't like to reverse myself in the hammock very much because it
      messes up
      my carefully composed cocoon. But I've done it. Falling out was not
      one of my
      worries. I suggest you set up the hammock in your yard and spend some
      time
      back and forthing til you feel comfortable.

      -amy
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi