Re: Hammock Camping Digest Number 178

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
      Hi, Aaron-

      I see you already have several replies to your E-mail.  Please give your inclination to return your Hennessy some more time and experimentation.  I have several Hennessys partly to accommodate the range of heights/weights that my husband and sons challenge me to cover, partly because I like to show Hennessys to the yet-to-be-converted.

      Keeping the fly attached and/or using SnakeSkins will keep rain out of your hammock, as people have already mentioned.  I saw suggestions to fold the hammock body out of your way to cook under the tarp in the rain.  I'm a bit lazier.
      The last especially rainy day that I hiked, I knew that I'd get to a shelter by 3 PM, or so.  When I got there, I kicked back for roughly an hour, boiled/simmered some home made and dehydrated salmon chowder, and just relaxed and let myself dry out.  It was great!  Then I hiked in the rain, once again, until it started getting dark.  I put up my hammock in the rain, sat in the slit under the fly to dry off and change clothes.  With the mid-afternoon hot meal a mere pleasant memory, I munched a Luna Bar (women's version of Cliff Bar) and maybe a handful of trail mix.  Then I slept blissfully.  In spite of using a location that wasn't especially pleasing, I was warm, DRY, and COMFORTABLE.  The scrub and sapling trees really blocked my preferred paths to tie out the sides well, and the two trees I used for hammock support were closer together than I liked, but that was the lay of the site I chose.  I was still comfortable.  Maybe you are able to sleep on the ground, but I just can't.

      In mentioning cooking under your fly/tarp/no one suggested that you could raise the leeward side of your fly with a stick or your hiking poles.  I have sat under the fly on my 1/2 folded hammock body to cook in inclement weather.  How the wind is blowing may keep this from always working, but, then, if the weather is that bad, I might defer cooking for a while.  You might also consider using a piece of tarp material or your poncho to temporarily extend one side or the fly to increase available sheltered cooking area.  Ed's suggestion to carry a larger, separate tarp would also work.  Two more things to consider: Sgt. Rock's poncho/tarp, (He had Moonbowgear.com make it for him.), or contacting Tom Hennessy about a larger fly.  He does sell flies separately, and they are doing SOME special orders.  He can advise you better on how, say, an Explorer model tarp might work (or not) with an Asym Backpacker.  The Safari Deluxe is a palatial sized hammock with a hexagonal fly that could protect a family.  But it is too heavy for backpacking unless maybe the packer is a (Green Bay) Packer.  It's fly might be too long to use conveniently with an Asym, that's one reason to check with Tom.

      It seems that people have covered the straps well enough.  One partial wrap is even OK to have the TreeHuggers protect the tree.  The stick as a spacer is a good idea.  I have added a doubled length of nylon "parachute-style" line when I wanted to use trees that were fairly far apart and very wide.  If you feel you must buy strapping at REI, I wonder if you feel you need climber's web straps.  You will be facing an unnecessary expense IMHO.  I've made extra straps from old webbing cut from discarded PFD's.  Sew the end with an "X-box" for strength.  (Sew in a box with a corner to corner "x" in the center.)

      I'm still in Florida with my parents.  But, if you are in NJ, I imagine we can eventually cross paths to swap a look-see at gear.  The CN AT begins not far north of NYC.  I need to do some sections down that way.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      From: "Aaron" <aaron@...>
      Subject: Field use questions

      I've been playing around with the HH A-sym I received in the mail 3
      days ago. I set it up in the backyard and lay in it for a long time.
      I feel confident that I'd sleep OK in it, but I have a few serious
      concerns about practical use in the field:

      1) The tree straps seem way too short. According to the HH web
      site's setup recommendations, you'd need to restrict yourself to a
      4" diameter tree to get the strap around twice. They seem woefully
      inadequate for real field use. If I want a longer strap it means I
      have to drive to REI(or order it)and spend time sewing up the ends.
      Is that what you guys have done?

      2) What do you do if  you're setting up this thing in the rain?
      According to the design specs,the hammock goes up first, and the
      tarp attaches to the hammock line. I can see a significant amount of
      water getting inside the hammock in the time it takes to tie up the
      second side and when you'd get the tarp thrown over it. I can
      definitely see advantages of adding cord to the other tarp ends and
      tying that up first, independent of the hammock. Anyone doing that?

      3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't eaten
      dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on the trail then
      hike more, but not always). Set up the tarp alone in-between two
      trees, cook under there, then set up the hammock beneath? What about
      if it's raining in the morning and the designated breakfast requires
      cooking (or you're a tea addict like me?) The hammock has to come
      down before any of this happens. In rain or colder weather, I often
      cook from my sleeping bag. I don't see any way of doing this while
      using a hammock. This restricts hammock camping to only the warmest
      of days or nice-weather days, at least for my style.

      It's not just about sleeping or keeping warm. I can see that hammock
      camping requires a fundamental shift in approach and thinking about
      how camp activities are done. I would appreciate detailed stories
      about how these obstacles are dealt with by you guys that are sold
      on it.
      -Aaron

    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2003
        I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
        HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I set
        up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a substantial
        rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me under
        there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss my
        concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
        exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
        will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
        don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
        foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for me,
        rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
        corners.
        -Aaron

      • Risk
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
          "Aaron" wrote:
          > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
          > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
          set
          > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a substantial
          > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me under
          > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
          my
          > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
          > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
          > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
          > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
          > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for me,
          > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
          > corners.
          > -Aaron

          Hi Aaron,

          It is interesting that we came to the same conclusion. I also sent
          my HH back. (BTW, the Hennesseys were really great about it.
          Wonderful service!)

          I admire your experiment. Real data is more useful than thinking
          about what might be. Your stove development is based on experiments,
          research, and improvement.

          Shane taught me something worth knowing about hammocks: don't worry
          about only getting one. Especially if you pull the old sewing
          machine out, there is room for oodles of experiments here. I
          have/have had a number of hammocks over the last 6 months. I have
          built them for as little as $30. And each one has taught me
          something new. I strongly recommend starting with the hammock Ed
          describes in his book... the directions for which are worth the
          price of the book.

          As far as the fly goes, I went directly from the HH diamond, to a 10
          x 10 ft (305 x 305 cm) silnylon tarp. It works great, but I was a
          bit concerned about the weight for my AT adventure. It was 18.5 oz
          (524 gm) with all tie outs. The hammock I was using at that time was
          30 oz (850 gm) including a taco shell insulator.

          Next stage was to test a silnylon tarp half that size, 5 x 10 feet
          (153 x 305 cm) which weighs 10.4 oz (295 gm). Hammock weight has
          also dropped and design has improved. Weight is now 19.6 oz (556 gm)
          for a total weight of 31 oz (879 gm) for both hammock and tarp.

          I find the narrow tarp to be dry even during horizontal raindrop
          storms - tested up to 30 mph with gusts higher. I would not try to
          cook in those winds, but for the average rainfall, there is enough
          room to pack or cook under the tarp while sitting in the hammock.
          This last point is important. While I can easily sit under the tarp
          on a tyvek square, it is much more comfortable to sit under the tarp
          using the hammock as a seat. This (besides sleeping) is where
          hammock camping shines in my eyes. Camping with this camp chair is
          much more comfortable for me than sitting on a rock or on the
          ground.

          OK... enough proselytizing.

          Have a fun day.

          Rick
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
            Aaron:

            I have several HHs and, like you, I find that the stock
            tarps are the barest minimum size possible. Still, the
            integrated design, quality of materials and construction,
            and compact package make the HH a "keeper" for me.

            When I know the weather will be tolerable and want to travel
            fast and light and simple, the original hammock set works
            well for me.

            When I expect nasty weather, I switch out the stock tarp
            with a custom-made 8 x 8 foot silnylon tarp, which I also
            pitch on the diagonal.

            I think the custom tarp is actually lighter than the
            Expedition model tarp, and about the same as the Ultralight
            Backpacker. (I don't know exact weights, sorry.)

            More importantly, I think you're missing an important facet
            of hammocking, that of collecting huge numbers of hammocks
            for no other reason than that you love them and need that
            unique feature that each and every model has.

            Bear
          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <aaron@b...> wrote:
              > I've come to the conclusion that the fly that comes with the
              > HH UL A-sym is way too small for my needs. It rained today and I
              set
              > up the fly by itself and sat under it for a while. In a
              substantial
              > rain with wind there isn't enough "moving around room" for me
              under
              > there. My intention at this point is to call Hennessy and discuss
              my
              > concern with them. If they are willing to take the fly back in
              > exchange for contribution to a larger one (not diamond shaped), I
              > will consider keeping it, but it depends on how much it weighs. I
              > don't think it should even be a pound, but I think that the 8x10
              > foot pitched as an "A" frame over the hammock sounds better for
              me,
              > rather than having it as a diamond shape overlapping from the
              > corners.
              > -Aaron

              I thought that the first few times I set it up myself (I also use a
              UL A-Sym). But I learned how to do it correctly and haven't had a
              problem since (and we've had a lot of rain so far this year). But
              the Explorer or Exped flys will increase the tolerance for sloppy
              setup so it's a good solution for only a few more ounces.

              BTW, I hang mine high (vs. the low to the ground folks) so I can
              walk under the fly. I also have a small (6x9"?) plastic cutting
              board I carry which I hang from the tree under the tarp & use as a
              small table/cutting surface/stove shelf. It saves me from having to
              sit on the ground to cook. I drilled holes through each corner and
              ran a 3' length of parachute cord through one set of holes (along
              the 6" side). I ran a 6' length through the holes on the other 6"
              side. When I hang it I put the side with the short cord against the
              tree and tie it using the cord. Then I take the long cord and bring
              both ends up at an angle to the tree and tie it off. Wa la! A stable
              table 30" high & only about 4 oz I think.

              Jim
            • rexhardy2003
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3 7:21 AM
                For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                think?

                Rex
              • Joe O'Leary
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3 7:31 AM
                  Personally I like a slightly larger tarp, along the lines 10x12. The more
                  dry space, the better (i.e. the more versatility) for me.

                  I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                  just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent coverage
                  of 10x12

                  Definitely don't go smaller than 8 x 10.

                  -Joe

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 3 8:14 AM
                    I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
                    coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
                    underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.

                    Bill in Houston

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
                    wrote:

                    > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                    > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                    > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                    > think?
                    >
                    > Rex

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3 9:56 AM
                      Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                      stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                      so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                      so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                      rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                      it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                      would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.

                      Coy Boy

                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:

                      > I'd go a little larger, but that's just me. A little larger = more
                      > coverage when the weather gets really freaky, more room to hang out
                      > underneath if in extended rain. I really really don't like being wet.
                      >
                      > Bill in Houston
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rexhardy2003" <REH1966_04@h...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > For the greatest versatility-What size tarp would you recommend to
                      > > use with your hammock. I would like this to be as multipurpose as
                      > > possible. I am thinking along the lines of 8' x 10'. What do you all
                      > > think?
                      > >
                      > > Rex

                    • Richard Perlman
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 3 10:21 AM
                        Joe O'Leary wrote:

                        > I have the deluxe MacCat tarp from Outdoor Equipment Suppliers so it's not
                        > just a plain square but I'm guessing that it's about the equivalent
                        > coverage
                        > of 10x12

                        Joe,
                        With which hammock do you use the deluxe MacCat? I have a HH Explorer
                        Ultralight and was considering upgrading the stock fly to the deluxe MacCat.

                        Does anyone have any experience with this set-up?

                        Rich
                      • Joe O'Leary
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 3 10:35 AM
                          Rich,

                          I have the HH Ultralight Backpacker Asym. The HH Explorer Ultralight will
                          be fine with it as well. While the Explorer is tougher it is only a tiny
                          bit larger (8 inches longer, I think).

                          I don't attach the MacCat to the Hammock at all. I tie it separately first
                          and then put the hammock under it. I use HH Snakeskins #4 to enclose the
                          hammock and JRB Nest Down Under quilt. I pack the MacCat in its own stuff
                          sack.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3 10:49 AM
                            His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                            smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                            per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                            Bill in Houston

                            > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                            > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                            > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                            > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                            > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                            > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                            > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                            >
                            > Coy Boy
                          • Roby Dorsett
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7 2:03 PM
                              Where can you see/purchase Youngblood's tarp? What is the website?
                              Thanks,
                              Rob

                              _____

                              His is the reason I made mine the size I did! I looked and visualized
                              smaller ones, and then I saw his, and I thought "you know, at 1.3 oz
                              per sq yd, area is not something I want to skimp on..."

                              Bill in Houston

                              > Bill, you'd like my "Super-Dave" (you know, the guy who does the
                              > stunts that backfire) tarp. I really liked Daves (Youngblood) setup
                              > so I asked him if he could make me one like his only a little bigger
                              > so I could use my long hammocks I like. He said sure. I think it has
                              > rianed one time since I got the tarp so I haven't had a chance to use
                              > it in the rain yet. It will handle 40 mile an hour wind gust but I
                              > would not want to try sleeping under it in those conditions.
                              >
                              > Coy Boy

                            • Coy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 7 8:22 PM
                                Hi Roby, you can see Daves tarp in his folder in the photos section.
                                Its labled Youngblood. I just put a larger pic in my Files Folder.
                                can't put the big pics in the photo folder. I just put it in and
                                there will be an upload notification. On the purchase question. As
                                far as I know Dave is not making tarps to sell. I saw his and asked
                                if he could make me one like it only slightly larger. Mine is 11
                                feet long and 8 feet 4 inches wide. So it's about a foot longer than
                                his but only 4 or so inches wider.

                                Coy Boy

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Roby Dorsett"