Re: [Hammock Camping] an introduction and a battle plan for next summer

  • j.a. tackett
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
      thanks for the turn on

      --- On Mon, 8/25/08, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:

      From: Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...>
      Subject: Re: [Hammock Camping] an introduction and a battle plan for next summer
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 6:41 PM

      Hi Conifir1,

      About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
      group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
      and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
      which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
      turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
      carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
      with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

      Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
      xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
      (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
      I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
      definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
      Hennessey Hammocks).

      You may also want to check out the yahoo group
      <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
      lightening up equipment.

      CL
      who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

      snips from conifir1:
      > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
      > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
      > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
      > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

      > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
      > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

      > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
      > space for other items

      > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

      > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
      > back.......

    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
        you can see how i am going to get set up by going to these 2 sites
        http://www.carouseldesignworks.com
        http://www.epicdesigns.com

        check out there pic`s         you will see how i am setting up my bicycle........

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
          i  have to stay away from gluten

          About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
          group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
          and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
          which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
          turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
          carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
          with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

          Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
          xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
          (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>) from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
          I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
          definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
          Hennessey Hammocks).

          You may also want to check out the yahoo group
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
          lightening up equipment.

          CL
          who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

          snips from conifir1:
          > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
          > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
          > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
          > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

          > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
          > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

          > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
          > space for other items

          > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

          > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
          > back.......

        • j.a. tackett
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
            I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
            interesting site...........

            About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
            group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
            and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
            which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
            turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
            carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
            with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

            Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
            xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
            (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
            I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
            definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
            Hennessey Hammocks).

            You may also want to check out the yahoo group
            <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
            lightening up equipment.

            CL
            who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

            snips from conifir1:
            > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
            > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
            > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
            > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

            > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
            > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

            > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
            > space for other items

            > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

            > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
            > back.......

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
              Quite a few people take their xtracycles off road. They say that having
              the weight in the middle makes for a smoother and more controlled ride.

              CL

              j.a. tackett wrote:
              > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
              > interesting site...........

              Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

              Taichung County 43499
              Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
            • j.a. tackett
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                thats cool...............but it is the length of this bicycle.............that i question...........
                i am planning to do the great divide mountain bicycle trail............ease and comfort is the big thing
                maybe i am just being a prude ..................if the xtra cycle works for some so be it.........
                i am a believer in not messing with the structual design that came from the factory ......especially the abuse that i am going to put my trek fuel through........

                j.a. tackett wrote:
                > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route....... ..it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling... ......... but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                > interesting site........ ...

                Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@msa. hinet.net

                P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang http://megaview. com.tw/~caralin
                Longjing Township http://www.BugDorm. com