Re: [Hammock Camping] an introduction and a battle plan for next summer

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2008
      Hi Conifir1,

      About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com>? There's a yahoo
      group for xtracycles (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/>)
      and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
      which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
      turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
      carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
      with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

      Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
      xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
      (<http://www.ridingthespine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
      I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
      definitely are: <http://clevercycles.com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
      Hennessey Hammocks).

      You may also want to check out the yahoo group
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/> for help with
      lightening up equipment.

      CL
      who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

      snips from conifir1:
      > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
      > older ............and they can do that.................they cannot
      > take away your bicycle..............that way i can disappear on my
      > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

      > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
      > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

      > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
      > space for other items

      > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

      > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
      > back.......
    • j.a. tackett
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
        thanks for the turn on

        About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
        group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
        and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
        which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
        turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
        carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
        with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

        Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
        xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
        (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
        I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
        definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
        Hennessey Hammocks).

        You may also want to check out the yahoo group
        <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
        lightening up equipment.

        CL
        who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

        snips from conifir1:
        > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
        > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
        > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
        > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

        > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
        > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

        > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
        > space for other items

        > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

        > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
        > back.......

      • j.a. tackett
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
          you can see how i am going to get set up by going to these 2 sites
          http://www.carouseldesignworks.com
          http://www.epicdesigns.com

          check out there pic`s         you will see how i am setting up my bicycle........

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
            i  have to stay away from gluten

            About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
            group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
            and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
            which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
            turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
            carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
            with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

            Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
            xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
            (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>) from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
            I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
            definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
            Hennessey Hammocks).

            You may also want to check out the yahoo group
            <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
            lightening up equipment.

            CL
            who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

            snips from conifir1:
            > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
            > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
            > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
            > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

            > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
            > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

            > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
            > space for other items

            > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

            > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
            > back.......

          • j.a. tackett
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
              I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
              interesting site...........

              About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
              group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
              and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
              which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
              turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
              carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
              with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

              Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
              xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
              (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
              I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
              definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
              Hennessey Hammocks).

              You may also want to check out the yahoo group
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
              lightening up equipment.

              CL
              who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

              snips from conifir1:
              > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
              > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
              > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
              > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

              > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
              > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

              > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
              > space for other items

              > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

              > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
              > back.......

            • Cara Lin Bridgman
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                Quite a few people take their xtracycles off road. They say that having
                the weight in the middle makes for a smoother and more controlled ride.

                CL

                j.a. tackett wrote:
                > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                > interesting site...........

                Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

                Taichung County 43499
                Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
              • j.a. tackett
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                  thats cool...............but it is the length of this bicycle.............that i question...........
                  i am planning to do the great divide mountain bicycle trail............ease and comfort is the big thing
                  maybe i am just being a prude ..................if the xtra cycle works for some so be it.........
                  i am a believer in not messing with the structual design that came from the factory ......especially the abuse that i am going to put my trek fuel through........

                  j.a. tackett wrote:
                  > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route....... ..it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling... ......... but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                  > interesting site........ ...

                  Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@msa. hinet.net

                  P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang http://megaview. com.tw/~caralin
                  Longjing Township http://www.BugDorm. com