Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock Camping] PeaPods warmth and HH

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2008
      >Someone asked if I had a down tent.
      I asked becuse I know someone who actualy has a down tent but I have never
      seen it. The maker went out of business. . Sorry I didn't catch the LIKE.
      Rogene
    • billybob38801
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
        You know, I have used my Pea Pod when lows were in the high 60s or
        about 70, and did OK. If I had tried to use a down bag of similar
        thickness, I would have burned up. I just hung it loose so that
        there was a decent gap below me, and started out with it closed only
        around my feet. As the night wore on and cooled off slightly and the
        wind picked up, I just fastened it loosely above me, leaving it
        gapping open in several spots. It was just fine. Admittedly it would
        be a bit heavy to take on the trail at these temps, but sometimes
        temps can be quite cold one night and much warmer the next. It just
        shows what is probably about the greatest versatility available among
        "bags".

        Another thing I have found works good, compared to the mummy bags I
        often use, is to "rotate" the PeaPod when I shift to my side.
        Sometimes when I have a hood cinched down, if I turn to my side by
        rotating in the bag, (which is easier than turning the whole bag with
        your arms inside) then my head is not positioned right in the hood
        opening.Plus, some bags are not as warm on the bottom, and if they are
        down,it is flat.

        So if you turn by rotating the whole bag, your back might be cold, at
        least for a little while until the down lofts back up. But I have
        noticed that I can turn to my side in the Pod, then rotate the entire
        Pod around the hammock, so that the Velcro is to the side, and a small
        breathing hole is right in front of my face, if desired. All of the
        down remains fully lofted and warm. That is hard to beat.