RE: [Hammock Camping] an introduction and a battle plan for next summer

  • David Fox
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 25, 2008
      I would love to see a picture of your bicycle setup.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 25, 2008
        Hi Conifir1,

        About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com>? There's a yahoo
        group for xtracycles (<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/>)
        and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
        which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
        turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
        carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
        with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

        Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
        xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
        (<http://www.ridingthespine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
        I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
        definitely are: <http://clevercycles.com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
        Hennessey Hammocks).

        You may also want to check out the yahoo group
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BackpackingLight/> for help with
        lightening up equipment.

        CL
        who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

        snips from conifir1:
        > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
        > older ............and they can do that.................they cannot
        > take away your bicycle..............that way i can disappear on my
        > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

        > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
        > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

        > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
        > space for other items

        > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

        > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
        > back.......
      • j.a. tackett
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
          thanks for the turn on

          About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
          group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
          and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
          which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
          turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
          carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
          with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

          Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
          xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
          (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
          I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
          definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
          Hennessey Hammocks).

          You may also want to check out the yahoo group
          <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
          lightening up equipment.

          CL
          who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

          snips from conifir1:
          > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
          > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
          > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
          > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

          > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
          > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

          > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
          > space for other items

          > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

          > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
          > back.......

        • j.a. tackett
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
            you can see how i am going to get set up by going to these 2 sites
            http://www.carouseldesignworks.com
            http://www.epicdesigns.com

            check out there pic`s         you will see how i am setting up my bicycle........

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
              i  have to stay away from gluten

              About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
              group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
              and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
              which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
              turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
              carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
              with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

              Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
              xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
              (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>) from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
              I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
              definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
              Hennessey Hammocks).

              You may also want to check out the yahoo group
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
              lightening up equipment.

              CL
              who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

              snips from conifir1:
              > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
              > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
              > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
              > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

              > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
              > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

              > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
              > space for other items

              > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

              > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
              > back.......

            • j.a. tackett
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                interesting site...........

                About your bike--have you looked at <xtracycle.com> ? There's a yahoo
                group for xtracycles (<http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/>)
                and members include one guy who frequently carries solar cells with
                which to recharge his bike's electric motor. Adding a FreeRadical to
                turn your bike into an Xtracycle completely eliminates any thought of
                carrying things on your back and all the inconvenience of pushing a bike
                with panniers. Quite a few people have 'xtracyclerized' their Trek bikes.

                Quite a few people are doing some real camping and traveling with
                xtracycles. Including the group that is Riding the Spine
                (<http://www.ridingth espine.com>)from Prudhoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego.
                I don't know if they're using hammocks, but other xtracyclists
                definitely are: <http://clevercycles .com/?p=238> (scroll down to see
                Hennessey Hammocks).

                You may also want to check out the yahoo group
                <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Backpackin gLight/> for help with
                lightening up equipment.

                CL
                who has to stay away from gluten because of celiac disease.

                snips from conifir1:
                > 2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
                > older ............ and they can do that........ ......... they cannot
                > take away your bicycle..... ......... that way i can disappear on my
                > bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

                > i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
                > bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5

                > a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
                > space for other items

                > and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever ........

                > in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
                > back.......

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                  Quite a few people take their xtracycles off road. They say that having
                  the weight in the middle makes for a smoother and more controlled ride.

                  CL

                  j.a. tackett wrote:
                  > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route.........it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling............but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                  > interesting site...........

                  Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

                  Taichung County 43499
                  Taiwan Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                • j.a. tackett
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 26, 2008
                    thats cool...............but it is the length of this bicycle.............that i question...........
                    i am planning to do the great divide mountain bicycle trail............ease and comfort is the big thing
                    maybe i am just being a prude ..................if the xtra cycle works for some so be it.........
                    i am a believer in not messing with the structual design that came from the factory ......especially the abuse that i am going to put my trek fuel through........

                    j.a. tackett wrote:
                    > I don`t know about the idea of the xtracycle route....... ..it will make your bike to long ..........try weaving your xtra bike around trees or over fallen trees ........this is a good idea for road traveling... ......... but off the road i would think this would make it difficult beside developing a hell of a work out just moving the bike around with it loaded up.........
                    > interesting site........ ...

                    Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@msa. hinet.net

                    P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang http://megaview. com.tw/~caralin
                    Longjing Township http://www.BugDorm. com