Lawson hammock

  • Tomislav
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20 11:59 AM
      Hey all

      Stumbled upon the Lawson hammock by chance on Uncrate
      ( http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/outdoor/lawson-hammock-camping-tent/
      , manufacturer link:
      http://www.lawsonhammock.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=4382 ).
      Can't find it mentioned here, does anyone have any experience or
      anything else to say about it? I have the Claytor Jungle, how would it
      compare to it?
      Thanks!
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20 4:43 PM
        I tested one a couple of years ago

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Lawson%20Blue%20Ri
        dge%20Camping%20Hammock/

        That is a link to mine and the other testers reports.

        To me it was more of a tent that hangs versus a hammock.
        It is flat bottomed which makes putting pads it in it easy, but the fly fits
        TIGHT and does not have a lot of room to adjust it. It is pretty much fly on
        or fly off.

        TV
      • Ken Harmon
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20 7:38 PM
          I bought one - before I knew anything about hammocks - about five
          years ago. It had no ropes/straps with it. It wasn't hard to set it
          up but it sure did want to tip over if you put anything in it, like a
          sleeping bag, pillow, etc. It was really top heavy. It was fine to
          sleep in - not the least bit tippy. Weighed almost twice as much as a
          HH. I bought a HH Expedition and used it on a 135 mile kayak trip.
          Have never used the Lawson BRCH since then. Maybe I ought to pull it
          out and give it another try.
        • Tomislav
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22 8:12 AM
            Thomas, thanks for your reply. I found your (and the other 2) reviews
            a few minutes after I made this post but I couldn't reply because it
            wasn't approved yet.

            One thing I couldn't find there is, is it too short for a longer
            person? I'm 2m (6'7") tall and that's why I went with Claytor Jungle
            and stuck with it.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22 8:24 AM
              Ken, thanks for your reply.

              > It was fine to sleep in - not the least bit tippy.

              May I know how tall are you? As I already wrote in my reply to Thomas,
              #1 thing that worries me is length since the hammock specs say it is
              230 cm long and I'm 2m.

              > Weighed almost twice as much as a HH. I bought a HH Expedition
              > and used it on a 135 mile kayak trip. Have never used the Lawson
              > BRCH since then. Maybe I ought to pull it out and give it another
              > try.

              Testing it again, after you had some experience with other
              travel/camping hammocks, seems to be a good idea. If you do it,
              please share your new opinion/experience.

              I'm mostly interested in this hammock because it functions well as a
              (regular) bivy - as I wrote in one of my previous posts, I plan to do
              a longer trip over a flat terrain (steppe) where it won't be possible
              to find places for tying the hammock all the time.
              (And yes, I know that I can setup any hammock as a bivy, I've been
              doing it but this hammock looks like the best option for that.)
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22 10:16 AM
                I am right at 6 feet and I think it was just about right for me. 6 7
                is probably a tad long for this thing

                TV
              • Ken Harmon
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22 6:11 PM
                  I'm 5'10".

                  It's not tippy to sleep in and I'm sure that if I had tied it out to
                  the sides, I wouldn't have had any trouble. The biggest concern I had
                  was the weight and the length when it's packed in its carrying bag. I
                  just prefer the compactness of the HH (I have both an Expedition and an
                  Explorer.)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 23 8:46 AM
                    The Lawson is definitely a heavier package than the HH and it doesn't come
                    with ropes to hang with.

                    There are two reasons/times I would prefer the Lawson

                    a)If I knew I would have several nights/places where there were no trees and
                    I would have to pitch it on the ground. It really is more of a tent that
                    hangs to me rather than a hammock. It goes up nice and easy as a one person
                    tent.

                    b)If it was going to be really cold. The fly is tight and keeps the heat in
                    and the bottom is flat. It was easy for me to put a real sleeping pad into
                    it and stay on it. If I cut one (width wide) I could actually cover the
                    entire bottom of the hammock with a sleeping pad.

                    Still, it stays packed away because my HH is a bit cooler in Texas during
                    the summer with a fly on and it is lighter.

                    TV