Re: [Hammock Camping] using bug protection

  • Amy Bailey
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 20, 2008
      By the way - I'll be camping near Acadia National Park tomorrow through
      Tuesday, so I can give you a direct report. :)

      ---Amy

      On 8/18/08, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:

      > I've been in Maine in late August and the mosquitoes are numerous. To say
      > the least. I've gotten 20 bites on each ankle when I forgot bug repellant.
      >
      > ---Amy
      >

      > On 8/14/08, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > I will be hiking from Mt. Katahdin south through Maine and New
      >> > Hampshire on the AT, leaving September 4th. I'm using a Speer
      >> > hammock and wonder if I should leave my bug net home. Any one have
      >> > experience hiking in Maine and NH in the Fall who can give me some
      >> > advice?
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >>
      >> Jeff

    • Amy Bailey
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23, 2008
        Jeff,

        I went on a bird walk with a ranger this morning in Acadia NP (Ship
        Harbor). After 10 minutes several people went back to their cars to use bug
        repellent before continuing on the walk, due to the number of mosquitoes.

        Another note - they've had lots of rain in Maine this summer. Today and
        yesterday, many people remarked on how nice it was to have a day without
        rain.

        Good luck, and enjoy your hike!

        ---Amy

        On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:

        > By the way - I'll be camping near Acadia National Park tomorrow through
        > Tuesday, so I can give you a direct report. :)
        >
        > ---Amy
        >

        > On 8/18/08, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I've been in Maine in late August and the mosquitoes are numerous. To say
        >> the least. I've gotten 20 bites on each ankle when I forgot bug repellant.
        >>
        >> ---Amy

        >>> Thanks,
        >>>
        >>> Jeff

      • Jeff Palmer
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2008
          Amy,

          Thanks for the info. I will definitely take my bug net, and perhaps
          some DEET.

          Jeff