Re: Hammock Camping Snake Skins

  • Chester Clocksin
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 30, 2003
      I leave the fly attached and use the snakeskins over the hammock and fly. To pack up the hammock, I roll the hammock body up the ridgeline, and then grab the the bottom of both sides of the fly at the guy out points, hold it upright so that the rolled hammock body is inside the fly (like a taco), and roll up the fly from the guyout points to the ridgeline. I then hold onto the center and slide the snakeskins over the whole think. This method allows me to bot setup and take down the hammock even in the rain, without getting the wet.

      Chet
      Tripp Clark <muscogeeoa@...> wrote:
      After my first few nights with my HH, I purchased some Snake Skins. I
      have not yet used the HH w/ the Snake Skins in the backcountry.
      Initially, I have installed them over the hammock only, and not the
      tarp.  This I did for the same reason that when tent camping I always
      put my tent and tarp in different stuff sacks -- to avoid packing a
      wet tarp with my dry tent (and then that night having a wet tent).
      It does, however, appear that it would be exceedingly convenient to
      pack everything in the Snake Skins.  So, my question is, for those of
      you who use the Snake Skins, do you install them to include or
      exclude the tarp, and what are your reasons for choosing that way?

    • Shane
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 30, 2003
        > So, my question is, for those of you who use the
        > Snake Skins, do you install them to include or
        > exclude the tarp, and what are your reasons for
        > choosing that way?

        I include the tarp, mostly from a convenience stanpoint. Even if the tarp
        is wet, encasing it in the snakeskins means that the rest of your stuff
        doesn't need to get wet.

        If you haven't seen it yet, I have a page devoted to the Snakeskins here:

        http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnakes.htm

        or

        http://tinyurl.com/fnyr

        Shane
      • Bob
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
          I only wrap the snakeskins over the hammock and then wrap the trap
          around them. Setting up in the rain this way you are guarenteed a
          dry hammock and don't have to play the games with the extra string
          like Sgt Rock suggests for setting up in the rain. It is also a much
          easier takedown then trying to wrap and stuff as described and so
          nicely shown by Shane. The skins also elimate the need for drips
          lines when it is raining hard. I feel they are definetly worth the
          weight for the utility they bring. I still use my Hennessey stuff
          sack and stuff the tarp wrapped snakeskinned hammock into it for easy
          packing into the back mesh pocket of my pack. If the tarp is really
          wet it goes into the back mesh pocket to dry out for the next night.
        • Adrnlnjnky
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 16, 2004
            If anybody needs snake skins there is an auction on ebay but it's short time

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5138135040&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
            --
            Tom Peltier

            Did somebody say Road Trip!!
          • Craig Stephanski
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
              I use those and they are the best.....makes set up that much easier!!  I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
                Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                months to go, we'll see.....

                jamie in az

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 18, 2004
                    Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40 so
                    far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                    and sweats.

                    Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go away
                    so she can hang out in the cold ;-)

                    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

                    > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                    > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                    > months to go, we'll see.....
                    >
                    > jamie in az
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                    > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                    > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!

                    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                    to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                    thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                    ride!"
                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                      Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                      pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                      has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                      Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                      hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                      cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                      fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                      Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                      not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                      pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.

                      <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                      > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                      can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                      and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                      coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                      something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                      also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                      > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                      > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                      > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                      > months to go, we'll see.....
                      >
                      > jamie in az
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                      > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                      > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      > Get unlimited calls to
                      >
                      > U.S./Canada

                      Service.
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                        Hi Jodi,

                        Glad to hear you are enjoying the test. I have yet to test it with
                        any other pads or insulation material. I wanted to find out
                        how "low" the items that came with the shelter would go first. I'm
                        at 55 F with just the Overcover and Underpad, my normal clothes, and
                        a 40 F quilt on top of me.

                        HAve you tried it without the POD pad yet?

                        jamie in az

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
                        wrote:
                        > Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40
                        so
                        > far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                        > and sweats.
                        >
                        > Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go
                        away
                        > so she can hang out in the cold ;-)
                        >

                        > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                        > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                        > > months to go, we'll see.....
                        > >
                        > > jamie in az
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                        > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                        > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                        > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        > >

                        > --
                        > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                        > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                        > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
                        body
                        > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                        > ride!"
                      • Craig Stephanski
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                          Jamie in AZ,

                          Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed.  I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay on........the combinations are endless.  That's why this forum is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best for you!!  Take care and good luck!....Craig

                          <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                          > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights?  I
                          can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                          and a wool blanket.  I had to wear long johns just once on the
                          coldest night.  Are you a cold sleeper?  Do you make sure you eat
                          something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?  That
                          also helps keep you warm at night.    Take care........Craig
                          > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                          > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out.  I'm testing it
                          > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far.  5 more
                          > months to go, we'll see.....
                          >
                          > jamie in az
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                          > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                          > I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > Get unlimited calls to
                          >
                          > U.S./Canada

                          Service.

                        • navjohn@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004

                            In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                            I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                            Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )
                          • Craig Stephanski
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                              Oh yes........I am all fiber-ed out by the end of the day!!! haha

                              navjohn@... wrote:

                              In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                              I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                              Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )

                            • Ralph Oborn
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                                An Astronomer friend suggested Cheescake, with chocolate. The
                                different ingredients metabolize at different times and keep you warm
                                all night.

                                Ralph

                                On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:08:14 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                                <stephanski@...> wrote:

                                > Jamie in AZ,
                                >
                                > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps
                                > with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results
                                > with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a
                                > little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed. I know that I
                                > am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at
                                > night. If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am.
                                > Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of
                                > layers to lay on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum
                                > is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                                > for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig
                                >

                                > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                                > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                                > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                                > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                                > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                                > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                                > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                                > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                                > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                                > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                                >
                                > jamie in az
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                                > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                                > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                                > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                                > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                                > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                                > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                                > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                                > > months to go, we'll see.....
                                > >
                                > > jamie in az
                                > >
                                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                                > >

                                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                > > Get unlimited calls to
                                > >
                                > > U.S./Canada

                                > Service.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • Craig
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                                  LOL
                                  --- navjohn@... wrote:

                                  > In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM,
                                  > stephanski@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > > I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                                  > fuel into my body to keep
                                  > > me warmer at night. If I don't eat beforehand, I
                                  > get noticibly colder at
                                  > > about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old
                                  > army wool blanket
                                  > >
                                  > Well, that should max out you your daily fiber
                                  > intake, if nothing else : )

                                  The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                                  http://my.yahoo.com
                                • Paul
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 23, 2004
                                    Now that's most lame excuse I've ever heard to
                                    rationalize eating the world's most perfect food! But
                                    being an astronomer myself I guess we'd know.

                                    -Paul

                                    http://my.yahoo.com
                                  • chcoa
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 26, 2004
                                      Thanks Craig. I've had about 6 tries in the Supershelter so far.
                                      All hovering around 50F. I appreciate the advice about the late
                                      night snack and covering my head. Usually I do wear a beenie to bed
                                      when actually out on the trail but at only 50F and car camping I
                                      figured I'd try without just to see the results.

                                      <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                      > Jamie in AZ,
                                      >
                                      > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in
                                      cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should
                                      have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very
                                      much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts,
                                      etc) before bed. I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                                      fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night. If I don't eat
                                      beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a
                                      piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay
                                      on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum is so
                                      great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                                      for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig

                                      > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                      > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                                      > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                                      > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                                      > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                                      > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in
                                      long
                                      > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                                      > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                                      > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I
                                      did
                                      > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down
                                      camp
                                      > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                                      >
                                      > jamie in az
                                      >
                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                      > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                      > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                                      > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                                      > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                                      > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                                      > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?
                                      That
                                      > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                                      > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                      > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing
                                      it
                                      > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5
                                      more
                                      > > months to go, we'll see.....
                                      > >
                                      > > jamie in az
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                      > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                      > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                                      > >

                                      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                      > > Get unlimited calls to
                                      > >
                                      > > U.S./Canada

                                      > Service.
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                      Service.
                                    • dclem22
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 8, 2006
                                        While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                        north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                        coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.
                                      • Joe Federici
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 8, 2006
                                          You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                          depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                          come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.
                                          I'm not sure how much extra room your looking? I was told the snake
                                          skin idea was patented so a few of the people who used to make similar
                                          products may have stopped. The ones that comes to mind were the python
                                          skins which are now collectors items ;-)

                                          JFF

                                          On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:35 PM, dclem22 wrote:

                                          While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                          north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                          coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.

                                          Camping hammock
                                          Camping food
                                          Rv camping
                                          Gsi outdoors
                                          Happy camper
                                          Outdoors

                                          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                          ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

                                          ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                          ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                          Service.

                                        • danefliedner
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 9, 2006
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                            > depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                            > come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.

                                            >>>I recently bought a JRB Nest and weather shield and needed bigger
                                            snakeskins-- I put my size 2 skins on my JRB tarp (a little big, but
                                            already had 'em) and I made (my first sewing project) some python
                                            skins based on "Just Jeffs" design under his homemade gear link-- they
                                            swallow the HH UL backpacker (without tarp), my Nest and weather
                                            shield-- I made mine a little bigger to be able to accomodate all 3
                                            pieces when needed. Came out pretty good, too, considering I'd never
                                            touched a sewing machine before! You should try it. Pretty easy, and
                                            way cheaper than $20 for the HH skins (although HH skins look nicer
                                            than mine, hey, it works)...And yes, they are a very cool idea, and
                                            well worth it. Dane