Measure of the ropes

  • Flávio
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
      Hi!

      What is the measure of the ropes you use in the hammocks?

      Thanks and greetings from Brazil!
      Alberto.
    • Mark Bayern
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
        > What is the measure of the ropes you use in the hammocks?

        ..from one tree to another ?

        There is a chance I'm not understanding your question.

        Mark

        On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Flávio <arrozcompequi@...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > What is the measure of the ropes you use in the hammocks?
        >
        > Thanks and greetings from Brazil!
        > Alberto.

      • Douglas Campbell
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
          If you mean the ropes tied to each end of the hammock, it varies. I like to
          use separate tree straps and then tie the rope that is attached to the end
          of the hammock to the tree strap. I only need about 10 feet (about 3m) on
          each end of the hammock at the most. Some people just use one long piece of
          webbing tied to each end of the hammock and then tie that directly to the
          tree. Then you would probably need to be about 15 feet (about 4.6m) long to
          have enough to work with. If your forests have a lot more trees that are
          close together, you might be able to use less rope; if they are further
          apart, you may need more. Hope that helps.

          Doug Campbell

          On 8/18/08, Flávio <arrozcompequi@...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > What is the measure of the ropes you use in the hammocks?
          >
          > Thanks and greetings from Brazil!
          > Alberto.

        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
            Another interpretation of measure is diameter, load, and material.

            The Hennessey Ultralight-Backpacker Asym comes with spectra ropes. From
            one end of the hammock to the end of the rope, it is 265 cm. So, there
            are two lengths of rope 265 cm long. This spectra is about 3 mm in
            diameter. This spectra does not tie directly to the trees. There is a
            2.5 cm wide webbing about 124 cm long that wraps around the trees. The
            rope ties to the webbing. The hammock is rated for 200 lbs (about 90
            kilos).

            For Taiwan's trees, I find the webbing is about short. The spectra,
            however, is usually more than long enough.

            CL
          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
              I use 15 foot long 1" webbing straps on either end of my hammock.

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 18, 2008
                The webbing I use has a 4,000 lb. (19 kilonewtons) per linear foot strength and comes in package of 30 feet (http://www.rei.com/product/752375 ), which I cut into two 1" wide straps 15' long. On one end of both straps I sew in a 6" loop, to which I attach a carabiner for a super quick tree hugger system. The other ends of the straps go into 1" cinch buckles (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=29) which are, in turn, tied to the hammock with a smaller accessory rope rated at 925lbs. per linear foot. Everything is at least climbing rated.

              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                  I also have 15 feet (4.6 meters) of 1 inch (25mm) Tubular Webbing for each side of the hammock, similar to Tom's set up.
                  But the 1 inch (25mm) Tubular Webbing is from the same place as the 1" cinch buckles for .25 / foot (30.5 cm) - 30 feet~10 Meters = 7.50

                  Sapere Aude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 19, 2008
                    12 feet long, 1 inch webbing.

                    Risk

                    Tom Frazier wrote:
                    > I use 15 foot long 1" webbing straps on either end of my hammock.

                  • Arrozcompequi
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 20, 2008
                      Hi!

                      Do you just use straps to fix the hammocks? Why not ropes?

                      When do you buy the hammock attached net+tarp (like the products from Clark
                      Jungle, Hennessy, etc), how much ropes/straps come with them? Do you need to
                      buy another ones because is not enough or they “do the job”?

                      Thank you very much!

                      _____

                      Enviada em: terça-feira, 19 de agosto de 2008 09:57
                      Para: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                      Assunto: Re: [Hammock Camping] Measure of the ropes

                      12 feet long, 1 inch webbing.

                      Risk

                      Tom Frazier wrote:
                      > I use 15 foot long 1" webbing straps on either end of my hammock.

                      Checked by AVG.
                      08:12

                    • Flávio
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 20, 2008
                        Hi!

                        Do you just use straps to fix the hammocks? Why not ropes?

                        When do you buy the hammock attached net+tarp (like the products from
                        Clark Jungle, Hennessy, etc), how much ropes/straps come with them? Do
                        you need to buy another ones because is not enough or they "do the job"?

                        Thank you very much!

                        > 12 feet long, 1 inch webbing.
                        >
                        > Risk
                        >
                        > Tom Frazier wrote:
                        > > I use 15 foot long 1" webbing straps on either end of my hammock.

                        8/16/2008 5:12 PM

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 21, 2008
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Flávio <arrozcompequi@...> wrote:

                          > Hi!
                          >
                          > Do you just use straps to fix the hammocks? Why not ropes?
                          >
                          > When do you buy the hammock attached net+tarp (like the products from
                          > Clark Jungle, Hennessy, etc), how much ropes/straps come with them? Do
                          > you need to buy another ones because is not enough or they "do the job"?
                          >
                          > Thank you very much!

                          Most folks stay away from small diameter rope that would tend to
                          damage tree bark. Some folks use small diameter rope with smaller
                          pieces of webbing and let the webbing make contact with the tree while
                          the rope attaches to that webbing (and call that small piece of
                          webbing a tree hugger).

                          Others just use all webbing and no ropes at all.

                          And some may use larger diameter rope hollow braid rope that flattens
                          out and doesn't dig into the tree bark as much.

                          There are various tradeoffs with all of these schemes. No matter what
                          approach, or scheme, you use it is advisable to use low stretch
                          suspension components that are strong enough to support you. The
                          forces on the suspension components can vary depending on how much you
                          weight and the sag (the angle your suspension rope,or webbing,
                          relative to the horizon) you use with your your hammock.

                          It might surprise you how much those forces can be. There are several
                          files in the FILES section that have information on those forces. I
                          have several under YOUNGBLOOD's STUFF. Generally, most folks end up
                          with roughly their body weight on each suspension line if they don't
                          use a structural ridgeline with their hammock and hang their hammock
                          with a moderate amount of sag. With a structural ridgeline, those
                          forces are generally higher and can be only moderately higher or much
                          higher depending on how you hang your hammock.

                          With rope or webbing you need a safety factor over the breaking
                          strength. Sometimes they are specified by their breaking strength and
                          other times they are specified by their safe working load (SWL). SWL
                          is the breaking strength with a safety factor applied to it.

                          Dave Womble
                          aka Youngblood AT2000
                          WinterTarp
                        • ypsyculman
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 21, 2008
                            Greetings,

                            In answer to the question:

                            When do you buy the hammock attached net+tarp (like the products from
                            Clark Jungle, Hennessy, etc), how much ropes/straps come with them? Do
                            you need to buy another ones because is not enough or they "do the
                            job"?

                            Answer:
                            Hennesy Hammocks come with 4 ft. straps, although a 6 ft. and 8
                            ft. are available for an extra charge. I highly recomend the expense of
                            at least the 6 ft. ones. A wrap with only 4' on most trees does not
                            leave much, and, for a tree much over 1' dia. there is not enought to
                            wrap at all. The 4' straps can be combined with the 6' if need be, but
                            here in New England I have never needed both, the 6' is all I carry.
                            Straps don't slip or roll down the tree.