Snake Skins

  • Tripp Clark
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 30, 2003
      After my first few nights with my HH, I purchased some Snake Skins. I
      have not yet used the HH w/ the Snake Skins in the backcountry.
      Initially, I have installed them over the hammock only, and not the
      tarp. This I did for the same reason that when tent camping I always
      put my tent and tarp in different stuff sacks -- to avoid packing a
      wet tarp with my dry tent (and then that night having a wet tent).
      It does, however, appear that it would be exceedingly convenient to
      pack everything in the Snake Skins. So, my question is, for those of
      you who use the Snake Skins, do you install them to include or
      exclude the tarp, and what are your reasons for choosing that way?
    • Chester Clocksin

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 30, 2003
          > So, my question is, for those of you who use the
          > Snake Skins, do you install them to include or
          > exclude the tarp, and what are your reasons for
          > choosing that way?

          I include the tarp, mostly from a convenience stanpoint. Even if the tarp
          is wet, encasing it in the snakeskins means that the rest of your stuff
          doesn't need to get wet.

          If you haven't seen it yet, I have a page devoted to the Snakeskins here:

          http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hhsnakes.htm

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/fnyr

          Shane
        • Bob
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 1, 2003
            I only wrap the snakeskins over the hammock and then wrap the trap
            around them. Setting up in the rain this way you are guarenteed a
            dry hammock and don't have to play the games with the extra string
            like Sgt Rock suggests for setting up in the rain. It is also a much
            easier takedown then trying to wrap and stuff as described and so
            nicely shown by Shane. The skins also elimate the need for drips
            lines when it is raining hard. I feel they are definetly worth the
            weight for the utility they bring. I still use my Hennessey stuff
            sack and stuff the tarp wrapped snakeskinned hammock into it for easy
            packing into the back mesh pocket of my pack. If the tarp is really
            wet it goes into the back mesh pocket to dry out for the next night.
          • Adrnlnjnky
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 16, 2004
              If anybody needs snake skins there is an auction on ebay but it's short time

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5138135040&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
              --
              Tom Peltier

              Did somebody say Road Trip!!
            • Craig Stephanski
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
                I use those and they are the best.....makes set up that much easier!!  I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!

              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 17, 2004
                  Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                  right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                  months to go, we'll see.....

                  jamie in az

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 18, 2004
                      Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40 so
                      far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                      and sweats.

                      Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go away
                      so she can hang out in the cold ;-)

                      On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:

                      > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                      > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                      > months to go, we'll see.....
                      >
                      > jamie in az
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                      > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                      > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!

                      arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                      to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                      thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                      ride!"
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                        Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                        pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                        has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                        Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                        hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                        cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                        fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                        Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                        not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                        pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.

                        <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                        > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                        can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                        and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                        coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                        something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                        also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                        > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                        > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                        > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                        > months to go, we'll see.....
                        >
                        > jamie in az
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                        > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                        > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        > Get unlimited calls to
                        >
                        > U.S./Canada

                        Service.
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 21, 2004
                          Hi Jodi,

                          Glad to hear you are enjoying the test. I have yet to test it with
                          any other pads or insulation material. I wanted to find out
                          how "low" the items that came with the shelter would go first. I'm
                          at 55 F with just the Overcover and Underpad, my normal clothes, and
                          a 40 F quilt on top of me.

                          HAve you tried it without the POD pad yet?

                          jamie in az

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
                          wrote:
                          > Really???? I'm testing it also and enjoyed staying warm down to 40
                          so
                          > far. I had my 20 degree bag, my POD women's Max-lite sleeping pad,
                          > and sweats.
                          >
                          > Jodi who is patiently waiting for this blasted cold she has to go
                          away
                          > so she can hang out in the cold ;-)
                          >

                          > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 05:42:41 -0000, chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                          > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                          > > months to go, we'll see.....
                          > >
                          > > jamie in az
                          > >
                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                          > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                          > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                          > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                          > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
                          body
                          > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                          > ride!"
                        • Craig Stephanski
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                            Jamie in AZ,

                            Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed.  I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay on........the combinations are endless.  That's why this forum is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best for you!!  Take care and good luck!....Craig

                            <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                            > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights?  I
                            can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                            and a wool blanket.  I had to wear long johns just once on the
                            coldest night.  Are you a cold sleeper?  Do you make sure you eat
                            something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?  That
                            also helps keep you warm at night.    Take care........Craig
                            > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                            > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out.  I'm testing it
                            > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far.  5 more
                            > months to go, we'll see.....
                            >
                            > jamie in az
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                            > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                            > I recommend anything that Tom makes,  'cause it works very well!!!
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > Get unlimited calls to
                            >
                            > U.S./Canada

                            Service.

                          • navjohn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004

                              In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                              I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                              Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )
                            • Craig Stephanski
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                                Oh yes........I am all fiber-ed out by the end of the day!!! haha

                                navjohn@... wrote:

                                In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM, stephanski@... writes:

                                I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night.  If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket

                                Well, that should max out you your daily fiber intake, if nothing else  : )

                              • Ralph Oborn
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                                  An Astronomer friend suggested Cheescake, with chocolate. The
                                  different ingredients metabolize at different times and keep you warm
                                  all night.

                                  Ralph

                                  On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:08:14 -0800 (PST), Craig Stephanski
                                  <stephanski@...> wrote:

                                  > Jamie in AZ,
                                  >
                                  > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in cold temps
                                  > with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should have better results
                                  > with a; covering your head (that will help very much!) and b; eating a
                                  > little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts, etc) before bed. I know that I
                                  > am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put fuel into my body to keep me warmer at
                                  > night. If I don't eat beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am.
                                  > Perhaps try just a piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of
                                  > layers to lay on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum
                                  > is so great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                                  > for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig
                                  >

                                  > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                                  > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                                  > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                                  > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                                  > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in long
                                  > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                                  > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                                  > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I did
                                  > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down camp
                                  > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                                  >
                                  > jamie in az
                                  >
                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                  > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                  > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                                  > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                                  > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                                  > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                                  > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going? That
                                  > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                                  > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                  > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing it
                                  > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5 more
                                  > > months to go, we'll see.....
                                  > >
                                  > > jamie in az
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                  > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                  > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                                  > >

                                  > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                  > > Get unlimited calls to
                                  > >
                                  > > U.S./Canada

                                  > Service.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Craig
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 22, 2004
                                    LOL
                                    --- navjohn@... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 11/22/04 9:12:34 PM,
                                    > stephanski@... writes:
                                    >

                                    > > I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                                    > fuel into my body to keep
                                    > > me warmer at night. If I don't eat beforehand, I
                                    > get noticibly colder at
                                    > > about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a piece of an old
                                    > army wool blanket
                                    > >
                                    > Well, that should max out you your daily fiber
                                    > intake, if nothing else : )

                                    The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                                    http://my.yahoo.com
                                  • Paul
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 23, 2004
                                      Now that's most lame excuse I've ever heard to
                                      rationalize eating the world's most perfect food! But
                                      being an astronomer myself I guess we'd know.

                                      -Paul

                                      http://my.yahoo.com
                                    • chcoa
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 26, 2004
                                        Thanks Craig. I've had about 6 tries in the Supershelter so far.
                                        All hovering around 50F. I appreciate the advice about the late
                                        night snack and covering my head. Usually I do wear a beenie to bed
                                        when actually out on the trail but at only 50F and car camping I
                                        figured I'd try without just to see the results.

                                        <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                        > Jamie in AZ,
                                        >
                                        > Well I'm assuming that you haven't been able to get many hours in
                                        cold temps with the SuperShelter yet, but it seems that you should
                                        have better results with a; covering your head (that will help very
                                        much!) and b; eating a little cheese or other fatty foods (peanuts,
                                        etc) before bed. I know that I am a 'cold sleeper' and need to put
                                        fuel into my body to keep me warmer at night. If I don't eat
                                        beforehand, I get noticibly colder at about 2-3am. Perhaps try just a
                                        piece of an old army wool blanket folded in a couple of layers to lay
                                        on........the combinations are endless. That's why this forum is so
                                        great, you can bounce things off each other and find what works best
                                        for you!! Take care and good luck!....Craig

                                        > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                        > Craig, if you are sleeping direcly on the "cheepie blue egg crate
                                        > pad" then it's no surprise you are doing okay at those temps. Rick
                                        > has had really good results with his closed cell Target pads. The
                                        > Supershelter system is a bit different however, the insulation is
                                        > hanging under you. In the attempts I've made so far, I slept in
                                        long
                                        > cotton pants, socks, fleece booties, t-shirt, and a light weight
                                        > fleece jacket covered by my 40 F modified sleeping bag/now quilt.
                                        > Top of me was not the problem. I did not eat right before and I
                                        did
                                        > not have anything on my head but I was sleeping on a little down
                                        camp
                                        > pillow. Don't know if I'm a cold sleeper.
                                        >
                                        > jamie in az
                                        >
                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                        > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                        > > What are you wearing for clothing during these "cold" nights? I
                                        > can get to 40F with just a cheapie blue egg crate pad, sleeping bag
                                        > and a wool blanket. I had to wear long johns just once on the
                                        > coldest night. Are you a cold sleeper? Do you make sure you eat
                                        > something before you go to sleep to keep your metabolism going?
                                        That
                                        > also helps keep you warm at night. Take care........Craig
                                        > > chcoa <jdeben@h...> wrote:
                                        > > Well the verdict on the Supershelter is still out. I'm testing
                                        it
                                        > > right now and I haven't had much success below 50F so far. 5
                                        more
                                        > > months to go, we'll see.....
                                        > >
                                        > > jamie in az
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Craig Stephanski
                                        > > <stephanski@s...> wrote:
                                        > > I recommend anything that Tom makes, 'cause it works very well!!!
                                        > >

                                        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                        > > Get unlimited calls to
                                        > >
                                        > > U.S./Canada

                                        > Service.
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                        Service.
                                      • dclem22
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 8, 2006
                                          While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                          north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                          coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.
                                        • Joe Federici
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 8, 2006
                                            You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                            depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                            come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.
                                            I'm not sure how much extra room your looking? I was told the snake
                                            skin idea was patented so a few of the people who used to make similar
                                            products may have stopped. The ones that comes to mind were the python
                                            skins which are now collectors items ;-)

                                            JFF

                                            On Mar 8, 2006, at 10:35 PM, dclem22 wrote:

                                            While were on the subject, does anyone sell snake skins to fit a clark
                                            north american with the xl fly? Snake skins(like posted) look to be the
                                            coolest accessory for a hammock camper. Thanks in advance for any info.

                                            Camping hammock
                                            Camping food
                                            Rv camping
                                            Gsi outdoors
                                            Happy camper
                                            Outdoors

                                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                            ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

                                            ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

                                            ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                            Service.

                                          • danefliedner
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 9, 2006
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
                                              wrote:

                                              > You could size up the snake skins to compensate for extra space
                                              > depending on what size hammock your starting with. The Skins I think
                                              > come in 4 sizes so if your hammock uses size 2 you could buy size 4.

                                              >>>I recently bought a JRB Nest and weather shield and needed bigger
                                              snakeskins-- I put my size 2 skins on my JRB tarp (a little big, but
                                              already had 'em) and I made (my first sewing project) some python
                                              skins based on "Just Jeffs" design under his homemade gear link-- they
                                              swallow the HH UL backpacker (without tarp), my Nest and weather
                                              shield-- I made mine a little bigger to be able to accomodate all 3
                                              pieces when needed. Came out pretty good, too, considering I'd never
                                              touched a sewing machine before! You should try it. Pretty easy, and
                                              way cheaper than $20 for the HH skins (although HH skins look nicer
                                              than mine, hey, it works)...And yes, they are a very cool idea, and
                                              well worth it. Dane