RE: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy Tips??

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 10, 2008
      Use the bag as a quilt, leaving the foot box zipped to stabilize that end of
      things. I just toss the pillow and bag WAY up into the head end of the
      hammock, Fold or roll if a long pad the part of the pad that extends past
      the end of the slit back, sit down and lay back. Raising my butt allows the
      pad to flop down where it belongs. I pull my knees up, slip the footbox of
      the bag over my feet and put a small duffle bag with clothes or something
      under my knees to take pressure off my knees.

      You don't get much benefit from the sleeping bag that's compressed under you
      anyway. open the bag makes a very nice quilt in the hammock. Maybe a bit too
      wide, but as it's down not a problem. My very old 3 season bag and an
      equally old 3/4 in 3/4 length thermarest will get me down to 40. Below 40? I
      dunno. I live in Florida.

      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 11, 2008
        I'm trying to add a line inside from the head end to pull on to help me
        move and to hold stuff out of the way

        Me too and I'd also make my Ed Spear blow up pillow a bag to insert it in
        and attach to the line as I can't keep my pillow from drifting to my feet
        with the slippery nylon fabric.

        Rogene
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 12, 2008
          Attaching the pillow to the end of the hammock is a great idea. That's
          one less thing to get piled up under your rear or to fall out of the
          hammock. Installing a pocket for book and water bottle is good, too. I
          keep getting bonked by my water bottle. I've been thinking of making a
          small hammock (maybe wider than it is long) to hang from the ridge-line
          in the extreme head, end. Then, I can just stuff things into it. Right
          now, it's all strings and clips and they're not working for the water
          bottle.

          I'm also finding that it's rather easy for things to get dumped out of
          the ridge-line pockets on my HH backpacker-asym. This, really, is only
          a concern when its my pencil that gets dumped out.

          What's really annoying is that every time I exit the hammock, I have to
          throw the quilt up behind me. Then, every time I get back into the
          hammock, I've got to push the quilt up towards the head end out of the
          way, get myself situated, and then throw the quilt back down over my
          feet. Any warmth in the down gets lost in a hurry!

          When I was sleeping on the ground, I'd stand up, step out of my sleeping
          bag (never bothering with the zipper), and flip the hood part over the
          rest of the sleeping bag. This way, the inside of the bag was still
          warm when I got back.

          With a top-entry hammock, it is a little easier to get in and out
          without disturbing the warmth. The problem with a top-entry hammock,
          though, is that it is much easier to lose all or part of the quilt over
          the side where it dumps on or drags on the ground. This is really only
          a problem if the ground is dirty or muddy.

          CL

          C C Wayah wrote:
          > I'd also make my Ed Spear blow up pillow a bag to insert it in
          > and attach to the line as I can't keep my pillow from drifting to my feet
          > with the slippery nylon fabric.
        • Amy Bailey
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 12, 2008
            That's why I gave in and got an underquilt. No pad. I use my sleepingbag
            as a topquilt with footbox. I throw the sleeping bag and pillow in ahead of
            me, get in, make sure the velcro is velcroed, put the sleeping bag over top
            of me, put my feet into the bag, and my pillow under my head. I'm assuming
            it's cold, where ensuring that the velcro is closed is an issue for me. I
            first usually put my eyeglasses into the ridgeline pocket, hang the
            flashlight on the line, and toss my book in with the pillow.

            ---Amy

            On 7/28/08, Tom <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

            > Can anybody help? Since I'm not young or Houdini or a contortionist I'm
            > having trouble getting my body, pad, bag and pillow up and into this
            > hammock without a lot of pulling, yanking, rolling to find out soon
            > after "I'm there" I have to do it all again before the night is over.
            > Not fun! Any speed tricks out there? Any help will be appreciated.
            > Thanks!!

          • Tom Galvin
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 12, 2008
              Was the underquilt a HH product or are there others out there that fit the HH? Any alterations needed?
              Thanks Tom

              On 7/28/08, Tom <thebaldguyd@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > Can anybody help? Since I'm not young or Houdini or a contortionist I'm
              > having trouble getting my body, pad, bag and pillow up and into this
              > hammock without a lot of pulling, yanking, rolling to find out soon
              > after "I'm there" I have to do it all again before the night is over.
              > Not fun! Any speed tricks out there? Any help will be appreciated.
              > Thanks!!

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 12, 2008
                Now your cookin!
                >Attaching the pillow to the end of the hammock is a great idea.
                >Installing a pocket for book and water bottle is good, too.

                My thoughts have been angelling on doing just this my self. However thinking
                I'd connect the water bottle to the line above my head that holds the pillow
                or a second line? I have palenty of room to do this as I;m only 5 foot
                tall. However if the bottle leaked!

                > I've been thinking of making a small hammock (maybe wider than it is
                > long) to hang from the ridge-line in the extreme head, end. Then, I can
                > just stuff things into it. Right

                I dont; know I would think it would swing and dump things. Interesting idea
                though. perhpas one with a mesh liner to help hold things in.

                > I'm also finding that it's rather easy for things to get dumped out of
                > the ridge-line pockets on my HH backpacker-asym.

                I was wondering if you could find some plastic magnetic
                strips to close this pocket somehow. Velcro seams to hard to handle for such
                a closure. No one whats to sleep with a pencil poking them.

                > What's really annoying is that every time I exit the hammock, I have to
                > throw the quilt up behind me.

                Why? I just shove the quilt/slleping bag to one side or the other then slip
                out of my hammock. Wiyth it bunched up like that it tends to retain the
                heat.

                The problem with a top-entry hammock, though, is that it is much easier
                to lose all or part of the quilt over the side where it dumps on or drags
                on the ground.

                Ed Spears pea pod would solve this in a top loader I would think.

                Rogene
              • rosaleen43
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 12, 2008
                  Hi,Tom-

                  You have some good tips already given. We each find what works best for
                  us. One thing that can help reduce your pad's shifting is a piece of
                  grippy shelf liner between the pad and the hammock bottom.

                  Better yet, suspend a layer below and around the hammock bottom and lay
                  your pad on it. I keep a mylar space blanket around the outside of my
                  hammock, suspended with elastic, and guyed out to the side pullouts.
                  Depending on the temps, I can undo one side and move it out of the way,
                  deploy it, adding layers, like a Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, and/or a
                  homemade fleece poncho. With these, it is simple to spread my sleeping
                  bag over me and use it as a quilt on any but the coldest nights.

                  Place pillows and other wanted items into a bag and toss in above you
                  or hold on your lap until you are situated in the hammock, then pull
                  them out to use them. I like to use a child's cut-down inflatable swim
                  cuff for a neck pillow. Stove Stomper suggested this on another forum
                  years ago. The biggest problem is finding a pair of the type that has
                  one flat side and two inflatable chambers. Cut off the flat side, and
                  one is left with a nice "V-shaped" pillow that cradles the neck and
                  stabilizes the head.

                  Another option is the SPE, Segmented Pad Extender. IIRC, Just Jeff
                  developed the one that Speer Hammocks sells. Slap one of those into
                  your hammock, with closed cell foam in the "wings," and use your
                  sleeping bag as a quilt.

                  Then,there are some options for quilts that hang under the hammock. My
                  personal preference is the layered space blanket/fleece poncho/pad
                  option. It is quick and cheap to make and can be used for various
                  needs.

                  Regards,

                  Rosaleen

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <thebaldguyd@...> wrote:

                  > Can anybody help? Since I'm not young or Houdini or a contortionist
                  I'm
                  >(SNIP)

                • Cara Lin Bridgman
                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                    Hi Rosaleen,

                    How do you handle the noise of a space blanket? Especially when there's
                    a wind?

                    CL

                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                      Hi Tom,

                      Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                      underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                      scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one seems
                      happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is based on
                      reviews a year ago.

                      To me, the idea of a down blanket hanging under the hammock (like the
                      JRB nest
                      <http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm>)
                      made intuitive sense--it just costs lots! I was thinking long-term (>10
                      years of almost daily use) when I bought it, though. You see, I use the
                      nest under the hammock I sleep in at home. There are several places
                      that make synthetic underquilts. Online, there are also directions for
                      making your own.

                      Frankly, any rectangular (not mummy) sleeping bag (or blanket or fleece)
                      can be converted to an under quilt by adding draw strings and bungees at
                      the long ends.

                      CL

                      Tom Galvin wrote:
                      > Was the underquilt a HH product or are there others out there that fit the HH? Any alterations needed?
                      > Thanks Tom
                    • Amy Bailey
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                        I havethe JRB Nest. http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List.htm
                        They tend to run sales now and then, but I got mine used here:
                        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28 People sell them
                        from time to time, as well as HH's and other hammocks. I splurged because I
                        was going to need a better sleeping bag for lightweight hiking anyway, and
                        the pad situation was really frustrating. I'll get the No Sniveler someday,
                        but meanwhile, I'm using a summer weight bag. :)

                        ---Amy

                        On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman
                        <cara.lin@...>wrote:

                        > Hi Tom,
                        >
                        > Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                        > underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                        > scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one seems
                        > happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is based on
                        > reviews a year ago.
                        >
                        > To me, the idea of a down blanket hanging under the hammock (like the
                        > JRB nest
                        > <
                        > http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm>)
                        >
                        > made intuitive sense--it just costs lots! I was thinking long-term (>10
                        > years of almost daily use) when I bought it, though. You see, I use the
                        > nest under the hammock I sleep in at home. There are several places
                        > that make synthetic underquilts. Online, there are also directions for
                        > making your own.
                        >
                        > Frankly, any rectangular (not mummy) sleeping bag (or blanket or fleece)
                        > can be converted to an under quilt by adding draw strings and bungees at
                        > the long ends.
                        >
                        > CL
                        >

                        > Tom Galvin wrote:
                        > > Was the underquilt a HH product or are there others out there that fit
                        > the HH? Any alterations needed?
                        > > Thanks Tom

                      • rosaleen43
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                          Hi,Cara Lin-

                          The quick and fip answer is "foam ear plugs."

                          Once I'm in the hammock and settled, I don't move around much,unlike
                          my tossing and turning on the ground or even a good bed. Therefore, I
                          don't notice the crinkling much. It also helps to have the mylar
                          blanket well-fastened and have that foam pad laid out on top of it.
                          It helps to have the blanket have a bit of weight on it. I supposed
                          a few pebbles or even spare socks could help, if not using the pad.

                          Regards,

                          Rosaleen

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                          <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Rosaleen,
                          >
                          > How do you handle the noise of a space blanket? Especially when
                          there's
                          > a wind?
                          >
                          > CL
                          >
                          > rosaleen43 wrote:
                          > > I keep a mylar space blanket around the outside of my
                          > > hammock, suspended with elastic, and guyed out to the side
                          pullouts.
                          (SNIP)
                        • Thomas Vickers
                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                            I also use a space blanket between the HH underpad and the hammock
                            (with the undercover).
                            Once I get in it doesn't seem to make that much noise and if it does,
                            the ear plugs don't let it bother me.

                            TV
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                              The Universal Model of the SnugFit Underquilt sold by Speer Hammocks
                              will also fit the Hennessy Hammocks
                              http://speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm . It was specifically
                              designed for trouble free use as an underquilt for hammocks and there
                              are significant advantages to it over other underquilts. Not only is
                              the shape designed for fitting underneath a hammock without air gaps
                              or significant compression of the down, but it uses a superior
                              suspension system that maintains the fit when you reposition yourself
                              or the hammock fabric stretches during the night.

                              Dave Womble
                              aka Youngblood 2000AT
                              WinterTarp
                            • kwpapke
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                                <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                                > How do you handle the noise of a space blanket? Especially when
                                there's
                                > a wind?

                                I use an Adventure Medical Heatsheet:

                                http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/kit_detail.asp?series=1000&seriesNav=&kit=2&kitNO=0140-0222

                                in my HH Explorer Supershelter. I've slept on the same one about 25
                                times and it shows no signs of wear and tear, and is really quiet. No
                                rustling like traditional space blankets.

                                REI carries them.

                                --Kurt
                              • kwpapke
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 13, 2008
                                  <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                                  > Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                                  > underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                                  > scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one seems
                                  > happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is
                                  based on
                                  > reviews a year ago.

                                  I have used my Supershelter down to 23*F. A space blanket (I use the
                                  Adventure Medical Heatsheet) is absolutely required at lower temps -
                                  it gives you at least another 10 degrees.

                                  For me, the Supershelter with space blanket gets a little chilly at
                                  temperatures below 30*F, but that is also the temperature rating of my
                                  sleeping bag so I can't expect to stay piping hot at temps below that.

                                  Wind is also a huge factor - I've been cold in temps in the 40's in my
                                  SS if the wind is howling off a lake.

                                  The conventional hammock wisdom is that mummy sleeping bags are
                                  ineffective, and quilts are the way to go. I use my mummy bag as a
                                  quilt at warmer temps, but I can go at least another 10*F lower if I
                                  mummy-up. You can probably do as well with a quilt if you use a good
                                  balaclava, etc., but that mummy bag is awfully cozy when only my nose
                                  is poking out.

                                  --Kurt
                                • Thomas Vickers
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
                                    I have used the HH underpad, undercover and a space blanket thing between
                                    the pad and hammock down to about 26 F.
                                    It worked fine for me.

                                    TV
                                  • Thomas Vickers
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Aug 15, 2008
                                      Thanks for the tip. I am going to have to try the heat sheet this winter

                                      TV
                                    • billybob38801
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Aug 22, 2008
                                        Hi CL,
                                        I have a SS that, once I figured out how to use it, has taken me to
                                        the high teens once, using a lot of tricks to get more out of it. But
                                        just as the basic system, I have used it in the 30s a-ok many times.
                                        Now, it's not as convenient to use at really cold temps, as my PeaPod,
                                        which works GREAT!. But it does have it's charms and is a lot cheaper
                                        than a PeaPod. But is certainly has a learning curve, as do most of
                                        these hammock related items.
                                        Bill

                                        <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Tom,
                                        >
                                        > Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                                        > underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                                        > scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one seems
                                        > happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is
                                        based on
                                        > reviews a year ago.
                                        >
                                        > To me, the idea of a down blanket hanging under the hammock (like the
                                        > JRB nest

                                        <http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List_files/Under%20Quilt.htm>)

                                        > made intuitive sense--it just costs lots! I was thinking long-term
                                        (>10
                                        > years of almost daily use) when I bought it, though. You see, I use
                                        the
                                        > nest under the hammock I sleep in at home. There are several places
                                        > that make synthetic underquilts. Online, there are also directions for
                                        > making your own.
                                        >
                                        > Frankly, any rectangular (not mummy) sleeping bag (or blanket or
                                        fleece)
                                        > can be converted to an under quilt by adding draw strings and
                                        bungees at
                                        > the long ends.
                                        >
                                        > CL
                                        >
                                        > Tom Galvin wrote:
                                        > > Was the underquilt a HH product or are there others out there that
                                        fit the HH? Any alterations needed?
                                        > > Thanks Tom

                                      • billybob38801
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Aug 22, 2008
                                          Same here, I never hear the SB once I am in the hammock. And I do
                                          think that SB is essential for the SuperShelter to reach full potential.
                                          Bill

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Vickers" <redroach@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I also use a space blanket between the HH underpad and the hammock
                                          > (with the undercover).
                                          > Once I get in it doesn't seem to make that much noise and if it does,
                                          > the ear plugs don't let it bother me.
                                          >
                                          > TV

                                        • billybob38801
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Aug 22, 2008
                                            I agree with you about the benefits of a mummy bag when approaching
                                            the sleeping bags/quilts lower limits. More than once I have been cold
                                            until I quit trying to use my mummy bag as a quilt, gave up, got in
                                            and zipped up. Usually this seems to make an almost instant 10-20*F
                                            dif. ( However, dedicated quilts probably work better as a quilt than
                                            does my mummy bag, giving better draft seal at shoulders and neck)

                                            I think that is one reason the PeaPod works so superbly, in my
                                            experience: It somewhat mimics a mummy bag when closed down to a small
                                            breathing hole, or even better, closed all the way! Only more
                                            comfortable than a mummy bag. And similarly to the SuperShelter, a 2
                                            oz space blanket added between the hammock and PeaPod seems to add at
                                            least 10 degrees.
                                            Bill

                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kwpapke" <kwpapke@...> wrote:

                                            > I have used my Supershelter down to 23*F. A space blanket (I use the
                                            > Adventure Medical Heatsheet) is absolutely required at lower temps -
                                            > it gives you at least another 10 degrees.
                                            >
                                            > For me, the Supershelter with space blanket gets a little chilly at
                                            > temperatures below 30*F, but that is also the temperature rating of my
                                            > sleeping bag so I can't expect to stay piping hot at temps below that.
                                            >
                                            > Wind is also a huge factor - I've been cold in temps in the 40's in my
                                            > SS if the wind is howling off a lake.
                                            >
                                            > The conventional hammock wisdom is that mummy sleeping bags are
                                            > ineffective, and quilts are the way to go. I use my mummy bag as a
                                            > quilt at warmer temps, but I can go at least another 10*F lower if I
                                            > mummy-up. You can probably do as well with a quilt if you use a good
                                            > balaclava, etc., but that mummy bag is awfully cozy when only my nose
                                            > is poking out.
                                            >
                                            > --Kurt

                                          • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Aug 22, 2008
                                              Hi Bill,

                                              Glad to hear you step in with actual experience with the supershelter.
                                              All I knew was the reviews at backpackgeartest.org. I read those,
                                              probably in 2006, before deciding on the JRB quilts.

                                              CL

                                              billybob38801 wrote:
                                              > I have a SS that, once I figured out how to use it, has taken me to
                                              > the high teens once, using a lot of tricks to get more out of it. But
                                              > just as the basic system, I have used it in the 30s a-ok many times.
                                              > Now, it's not as convenient to use at really cold temps, as my PeaPod,
                                              > which works GREAT!. But it does have it's charms and is a lot cheaper
                                              > than a PeaPod. But is certainly has a learning curve, as do most of
                                              > these hammock related items.
                                              > Bill
                                              >
                                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                                              > <cara.lin@...> wrote:
                                              >> Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                                              >> underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                                              >> scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one seems
                                              >> happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is
                                              > based on
                                              >> reviews a year ago.
                                            • ypsyculman
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                                                Greetings all,

                                                I have a Hennessy SS, and have tried many variations, except the
                                                expense of down quilts (yet... $$$). Two space blankets, taped
                                                together are always a must, any time, inserted between the hammock,
                                                and under cover. Doesn't make a sound, though some small cloth under
                                                the lower hips is good to absorb a little condensation that will
                                                collect there. I pull the rain fly down and tuck it in around the
                                                undercover, in lew of buying an overcover, adds 10 deg to the inside
                                                temperature.

                                                For temps down to 32: bib ski pants, puffy polyester vest (not fleece)
                                                over heavy fleece hooded shirt, Montrail booties, and a 3'x7' fleece
                                                blanket. These pant/vest/booties stuff down to nothing, and are less
                                                weight, bulk, and expense. They are a means of very specific
                                                insulation. (and you can get up at night in the Montrail booties
                                                without putting on boots)

                                                I have been out in the mid-teens several times, same configuration.
                                                Change to a -15 deg Kelty down bag (GearTrade.com = inexpensive).
                                                Wearing only thermal underware, under whatever pants and shirt I was
                                                already in and add same booties,(good double socks will work). That's
                                                it. I stuff my parka, and puffy polyester vest (not fleece) between
                                                the hammock, and undercover. I would be comfortable with this
                                                arrangement down to zero, but, will not have that experience to
                                                report till this winter.

                                                I have the Hennessy underpad, shoulder pad, and kidney pad, but, they
                                                do not compress well. Also made a under pad of alumanized bubble
                                                material, it is excelent too!!! After learning how to use the hammock
                                                properly, my "under stuff" does not scoot around. I always use a tarp
                                                of some kind, if there is any breeze or wind, fixed low the the
                                                ground, the moving air will greatly affect heat retention, ANY time
                                                of year.

                                                Link to booties
                                                http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Montrail/i
                                                desc/Bivouac+PrimaLoft+Bootie+-+Unisex/Store/MG/item/205284/N/0
                                                Link to Kelty bag
                                                http://www.geartrade.com/browse/106/94/181/item/63452

                                                Anything you might want to know: Hammock Forums.com

                                                So, not much weight or money, and, a lot of fun! Hope this helped!
                                              • ypsyculman
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                                                  This solved the problem for me of sliding down to the middle of the
                                                  hammock away from the head end:

                                                  Set up the hammock so that the HEAD end is LOWER than the foot end.
                                                  Three to five inches lower will make a big difference.

                                                  This position will NOT affect your body position in the hammock. You
                                                  will not feel 'head down'. Your body will center more to the head end,
                                                  and, be closer to that end. Also, keep your feet to the right of the
                                                  exit opening, and your shoulders a little to your left, off center,
                                                  thus asymetrical, that's the way Tom made it for us.

                                                  Hope this helps
                                                • Thomas Vickers
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                                                    I use a Feathered Friends Vireo (half bag) and a jacket when I sleep in cold
                                                    temps. The jacket (integral designs dolomitti) goes over the top of bag.

                                                    Some day I may get a new Vireo and see if FF will put a foot zipper/opening
                                                    in it.

                                                    The benefit is that I only have to wiggle into a bag up to my waist/chest
                                                    and my jacket stays on, even when I have to get up in the night

                                                    TV
                                                  • billybob38801
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                                                      Hi Cara,
                                                      I just went back and read those BGT reviws, and they are truly a mixed
                                                      bag, even after the addition of the 4 ozs worth of kidney and torso
                                                      pads. One 32 years old female from AZ could not be happy below 50*F,
                                                      one 51 y.o. male from NY was OK at 25*F, and one 43y.o. female was
                                                      apparently OK to 0*F, amazingly! "In my previous reports, I noted that
                                                      when out in the teens, I did get a chill when the temps dropped to the
                                                      low teens - 13 F (-11 C). When able to get out and test the
                                                      SuperShelter with the new pads, I did not get any chills -............
                                                      The weather was calm and warm during the summer with some rainy
                                                      nights, and this winter testing has had temperatures that have ranged
                                                      from 26 F (-3 C) to 0 F (-18 C) with heavy snows, some winds (5 to 20
                                                      mph /8 km to 32 km) and some clear, frosty nights. I have woken in
                                                      the morning with snow piled on top of the hammock but did not get any
                                                      moisture inside the hammock. I stayed very warm with the extra pads"

                                                      So, people vary widely in their opinion of SSs, no doubt. Because of
                                                      my own experience, I would say a lot of that is due to a lack of
                                                      knowing how to use it. As with me for instance: Assisted by worse than
                                                      usual brain function due high altitude, combined with not only first
                                                      time in the field with the SS but also first night ever in a HH
                                                      (pretty stupid, eh?), I woke up shivering violently at 0200 and 22*. I
                                                      had to abandon the hammock and just slept under the stars on the
                                                      ground/pad. But I was warm enough after that on the ground, and on the
                                                      following nights and ever sense, I've done a-ok in the SS.

                                                      My terrible first night experience provided some real laughs for my
                                                      ground dwelling fellow hikers! However, after the rest of that trip
                                                      and the one the year after that, they have both converted , to
                                                      hammocks, due to their observations of the two hangers!

                                                      None are using a HH and SS, though. But one, after one try with my
                                                      PeaPod, decided to start with one of those. So we now have two PeaPod
                                                      aficionados here in my small southern town! The other will probably
                                                      use pads. This is a matter of cost along with a preference for top

                                                      If it is going to be really cold, mid 20s or below, I will usually
                                                      just grab a PeaPod, it is just easier and more certain and requires
                                                      little expertise. I can take the SS way below 30, but there are quite
                                                      a few
                                                      tricks involved, like extra clothing ( if there is any)down in the UC,
                                                      or a Garlington Insulator.And most of all, avoiding any sag causingthe
                                                      dreaded gap and guaranteed cold. But for now I'm keeping my SS just to
                                                      have something dif to use when it is above 30, and maybe extra windy
                                                      and rainy, or just for fun. You do get a good bit of extra sideways
                                                      rain and wind protection from that sil-nylon under cover, in my
                                                      experience.
                                                      Bill

                                                      <cara.lin@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hi Bill,
                                                      >
                                                      > Glad to hear you step in with actual experience with the supershelter.
                                                      > All I knew was the reviews at backpackgeartest.org. I read those,
                                                      > probably in 2006, before deciding on the JRB quilts.
                                                      >
                                                      > CL
                                                      >
                                                      > billybob38801 wrote:
                                                      > > I have a SS that, once I figured out how to use it, has taken me to
                                                      > > the high teens once, using a lot of tricks to get more out of it. But
                                                      > > just as the basic system, I have used it in the 30s a-ok many times.
                                                      > > Now, it's not as convenient to use at really cold temps, as my PeaPod,
                                                      > > which works GREAT!. But it does have it's charms and is a lot cheaper
                                                      > > than a PeaPod. But is certainly has a learning curve, as do most of
                                                      > > these hammock related items.
                                                      > > Bill
                                                      > >
                                                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                                                      > > <cara.lin@> wrote:
                                                      > >> Hennessey doesn't make an underquilt. They make a supershelter and
                                                      > >> underpad system(<http://www.hennessyhammock.com/new-products.html>
                                                      > >> scroll down and look for Supershelter). The problem is, no one
                                                      seems
                                                      > >> happy with it when the temperatures get below 50*F--but that is
                                                      > > based on
                                                      > >> reviews a year ago.

                                                    • Thomas Vickers
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 23, 2008
                                                        I have hiked with someone who only uses a sleeping bag in his HH and he
                                                        slept down to 26 comfortably. He might have thrown a thermarest under
                                                        himself, but he is a bit strange

                                                        tV
                                                      • Cara Lin Bridgman
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 24, 2008
                                                          Hi Bill,

                                                          It was for the sideways wind and for splash back (and for bushes and
                                                          seedlings rubbing on the bottom of my hammock) that I made a outer-quilt
                                                          (some might call it a weathershield, to use the JRB term) out of tyvek.
                                                          Tarptents.com sells a sheet of tyvek as a groundcloth for their
                                                          double-rainbow. It has the perfect dimensions for an outershield for a
                                                          Hennessey hammock (or most any other camping hammock). It also doubles
                                                          well as a ground cloth if I have to go to ground or sleep on the shelves
                                                          in shelters. Plus, I've found I rather like the feel of tyvek!

                                                          So, I bought a length of tyvek and sewed some hot pink mason's twine
                                                          through the ends (folded over once) to make an outer-quilt that covers
                                                          my JRB nest. It also add some extra warmth by blocking wind.

                                                          One of the criticisms I read at backbackgeartest.org about the
                                                          supershelter was that it had a tendency to blow open. I've found that I
                                                          actually prefer to keep my nest velcroed shut (waste of velcro and
                                                          weight, may as well remove the velcro and sew it shut...) and get in and
                                                          out of the HH by swinging that (and sometimes the tyvek) out of the way.
                                                          The tyvek not only helps block wind, but it also helps make sure the
                                                          nest stays velcroed shut.

                                                          I guess I'm a little worried about condensation with a silnylon
                                                          undercover like the supershelter. I tried the garlington taco with
                                                          mylar and a few other things and the non-breathable things definitely
                                                          got puddles of condensation. I've not noticed any with the tyvek.

                                                          Also, I'm still leary of using the silnylon as a groundcloth type thing.
                                                          In my mind, it's rather fragile. The tyvek seems so much more sturdy
                                                          (especially after the hour or so it took me thread string through the
                                                          ends and after it blunted needle).

                                                          I probably gave more weight to the unhappy-with-cold review, because I
                                                          tend to sleep cold.

                                                          CL