Re: [Hammock Camping] Organizing myself Inside HH

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
      Hi Tom,

      You've asked twice about how to get you and everything else inside an HH
      without having to become a contortionist. Sorry we've not been
      answering your question. I'm noticing some lag time in the arrivals of
      some emails. This must be a yahoo glitch, but it is more common with
      HammockCamping than with other groups. Whatever it is, it's frustrating
      and it often results in emails getting lost.

      So, I'm glad you have asked again.

      Others on this list or on the net have used your system of pad and
      sleeping bag inside an HH and they're happy with it(e.g.
      <http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_hammock.html>). For them, the key
      seems to be getting everything laid out properly. Also look at the
      hammock reviews at BackpackGearTest.org:
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/>. Some of
      the reviewers describe how they load up the hammocks.

      I tried the pad, pillow, bag routine when I first got my hammock and
      decided that I was spending way too much time getting in my own way. It
      was a great workout and guaranteed that I was warm before going to
      sleep! I've since coughed up the cash for the Jacks R Better system of
      underquilts and over quilts (<http://jacksrbetter.com/>). I bought
      their three season set because it was cheaper. I now wish I'd bought
      two no-snivellers instead of the three-season set.

      Anyway, the underquilt solved most of my problem by eliminating the pad
      and having to climb into the sleeping bag and zip it up. This left me
      thrashing about in the hammock with my pillow and overquilt. For me,
      this is manageable. My raingear is usually my pillow, because I don't
      need much pillow when in a hammock. Then I have a quilt that goes over me.

      Some people on this list seem to put everything inside their HH with
      them, including boots hanging from the ridge line. I've found that the
      less I have in the HH with me, the happier I am and the easier it is for
      me to get in and out without a whole lot of hullabaloo.

      CL

      Tom wrote:
      > Any tricks for an old guy getting pad,pillow and sleeping bag and my
      > self all in the right place easily? Frustrated!
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 11, 2008
        I live in Florida and although it can get chilly, I don't plan on
        real winter hanging. I just got the JRB Shenandoah Summer under
        quilt that can also be used as a top quilt - you can for the foot box
        by the velcro strips. It was on sale for $150.

        I have the Feathered Friends Rock Wren (the red one in the picture)
        down sleeping bag. It has a drawstring bottom and zippered arm
        holes. You can wear it and read comfortably. Easy to get in and out
        of the hammock while wearing the Rock Wren.

        http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

        sandy in miami

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman