Re: [Hammock Camping] Organizing myself Inside HH

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
      I have a claytor JH that has a pad pocket in it, so I stick in my pad (an under-inflated 1" thermarest pad) first, which tents to create a "bed shape" out of the hammock. Next, I put in my down sleeping bag and unzip it, then shake it vigorously in order to fluff it up. I use my sleeping bag as a down top blanket, rather than as a sleeping bag. So far, went down to 26 degrees with this type of set up and no problems. I have a small camp pillow (a blue REI pillow--not sure if it's even made anymore--I had to open it up and stuff it some more to get it to my liking) that I like to use just for hammocking, and all I do is throw it in.

      When I want to go to bed, I grab the edges of the hammock, sit down, then swing my legs up as I transition my weight into the body of the hammock. Then I pull the sleeping bag over me; keeping my feet in the bag's foot box helps me keep the bag where I want it. I wiggle around a little bit until I've found a comfy spot, adjust the head pillow (or put it between my knees) until I'm comfy and perfect. Eventually I pass out and wake up in the morning wondering if I had any sleep...but I must have because there's a lot of time I can't recall. :oP

      Eventually, I want to make a "winter hammock" that has a water proofed outer shell stuffed with down chambers so I don't even have to worry about a camp pad at all; just a top quilt that I can fold up with my hammock. One day I'd like to get my hammock set up so fast and efficient I can just pull it out of a compression bag, hang it, and I'm done. The hammock would have a built-in "pad" and my down blanket would already be in the hammock. No more making beds! ;o)

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
        Hi Tom,

        You've asked twice about how to get you and everything else inside an HH
        without having to become a contortionist. Sorry we've not been
        answering your question. I'm noticing some lag time in the arrivals of
        some emails. This must be a yahoo glitch, but it is more common with
        HammockCamping than with other groups. Whatever it is, it's frustrating
        and it often results in emails getting lost.

        So, I'm glad you have asked again.

        Others on this list or on the net have used your system of pad and
        sleeping bag inside an HH and they're happy with it(e.g.
        <http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_hammock.html>). For them, the key
        seems to be getting everything laid out properly. Also look at the
        hammock reviews at BackpackGearTest.org:
        <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/>. Some of
        the reviewers describe how they load up the hammocks.

        I tried the pad, pillow, bag routine when I first got my hammock and
        decided that I was spending way too much time getting in my own way. It
        was a great workout and guaranteed that I was warm before going to
        sleep! I've since coughed up the cash for the Jacks R Better system of
        underquilts and over quilts (<http://jacksrbetter.com/>). I bought
        their three season set because it was cheaper. I now wish I'd bought
        two no-snivellers instead of the three-season set.

        Anyway, the underquilt solved most of my problem by eliminating the pad
        and having to climb into the sleeping bag and zip it up. This left me
        thrashing about in the hammock with my pillow and overquilt. For me,
        this is manageable. My raingear is usually my pillow, because I don't
        need much pillow when in a hammock. Then I have a quilt that goes over me.

        Some people on this list seem to put everything inside their HH with
        them, including boots hanging from the ridge line. I've found that the
        less I have in the HH with me, the happier I am and the easier it is for
        me to get in and out without a whole lot of hullabaloo.

        CL

        Tom wrote:
        > Any tricks for an old guy getting pad,pillow and sleeping bag and my
        > self all in the right place easily? Frustrated!
      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2008
          I live in Florida and although it can get chilly, I don't plan on
          real winter hanging. I just got the JRB Shenandoah Summer under
          quilt that can also be used as a top quilt - you can for the foot box
          by the velcro strips. It was on sale for $150.

          I have the Feathered Friends Rock Wren (the red one in the picture)
          down sleeping bag. It has a drawstring bottom and zippered arm
          holes. You can wear it and read comfortably. Easy to get in and out
          of the hammock while wearing the Rock Wren.

          http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman