Keeping cool

  • tim_farm
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
      I know that most people are concerned with keeping warm when hammock
      camping. However living in Florida I sometimes have the opposite problem.
      If there's little to no breeze and the mosquitoes are bad. It can get
      pretty warm hanging there in the muggy summer.

      I may have found a solution at the local CVS drugstore. They have a
      small handheld fan/flashlight combination with a carabiner on the end.
      I picked one up and plan to try it next month when I go out. This fan
      is the "O2-Cool Fan/Light with Carabiner".

      I tried a tent "ceiling" fan once but since the mosquito netting was
      so close it added almost no circulation. Since the new fan is at a
      right angle to the carabiner it will blow horizontally instead of
      strait down. If all goes right the fan will hang from my ridgeline and
      blow across my chest and up to my face. (Or turn it around if chili is
      on the menu.)

      Has anyone else tried this or have any other suggestions?
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2008
        Yep, works like a charm. Hang it toward the foot end and let it blow toward
        the head end. Very comfy. It would be nice to have one with a "sleep"
        setting so it would run for 30 minutes and shut off. Not only will it save
        batteries, but I actually get too cool after lying still for a bit and have
        to turn it off.

        The fan will torque our of alignment when it's running, so you might want to
        rig some way to adjust the angle to suit.

        Carey

        PS - where in Florida are you? I'm in Cape Coral.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2008
          I've been camping in the hammock a lot this summer with afternoons that
          reach about 100. San Antonio has pretty high humidity after the sun
          goes down and the temperatures have not dropped much below 75 by the end
          of the night.

          I have been doing OK with just lying down with a single layer shirt on
          the single layer hammock with no pad. The little bit of breeze feel
          very cool on my back. I've been surprised how comfortable it has been.
          Of course, it takes some getting used to to have the cool come from
          below instead of above.

          Rick