Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30, 2003
      Shane,

      I understand the basics of the 'sit, tuck & spin' procedure, I use a
      similar maneuver to enter/exit a very small Sierra Design Light Year
      tent. However, that was a two-dimensional problem, I was the only
      thing moving. With my HH, it can bounce, pitch and roll if I am not
      careful with my movements and postion. And then there is the issue
      of clearance height and getting hung up with the ridgeline. I can
      see me just fussing, wrestling with the ridgeline, the hammock
      rolling and me falling out the entrance on my face. :-) But I
      digress, you make it sound pretty simple...are you SURE you have done
      this and would recommmend it to others? I mean, if this is true, it
      shouldn't be too hard to access items on the ground without leaving
      the hammock, would it? That would be really nice and would eliminate
      the issue that 'you are either in or you are out'.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > Do you have a video of you doing this? I'm having a
      > > hard time visualizing how this is possible...especially
      > > the part about "When you wake up in the morning, just
      > > switch ends in the hammock so that your head is at the
      > > foot end." And if your stove is a little off to one
      > > side, is it still covered by the tarp, in case there is
      > > a light rain?...or is this for fair weather only?
      >
      > I don't have a video, but maybe I can 'splain it a little better...
      >
      > The proper way to lay in a hammock is diagonally. In a HH A-sym,
      if you're
      > laying on your back, your upper body will be on the left side and
      in the end
      > away from the entrance slit while your feet will be on the right
      side and in
      > the end with the entrance slit.
      >
      > To change this position, simply sit up, pull your legs up, do a
      little scoot
      > to turn yourself, and put your legs where you upper body was, and
      your upper
      > body where your legs were. Now you'll be in a position to dangle
      an arm out
      > of the entrance slit.
      >
      > The stove should be a little off to the side, but not so far away
      that you
      > can't reach it. You just don't want to light the stove directly
      under the
      > hammock. You can do this in rainy weather, so long as the wind
      isn't too
      > bad, since the stove is still covered by the tarp.
      >
      > Shane
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi