Re: Pictures of the freestanding support?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 29, 2008
      Hello all,

      I'm new on the list, but have been camping, including using hammocks
      off and on, for about 45 years. Back in the olden days, there wasn't
      as much tech available, and when we wanted to go light weight, we had
      to pretty much make our own gear. One of the appeals of this list is
      that spirit seems to be alive and well here. Thanks.

      One of the pioneering projects we used to make use of a good deal was
      bridge building. Freestanding, temporary bridges. In order to anchor
      the foot ropes, we used multiple stakes. One linked to the other.
      Three big stakes would hold the weight of the bridge, plus the weight
      of the person crossing it.

      I've posted a picture I drew of one format.

      These stakes could be made in camp from down wood. You just need a
      light weight camp axe, which I consider an essential tool, more
      important to me than a knife. Anything I can do with a knife I can do
      with a small axe, and more. Anyhoo, if I have to choose, I'll go with
      the axe, but a pocket knife ain't heavy.

      Steve B.
    • Arturo Villarete
      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 1, 2008
        Eh!!?  Is the creator the one who made this novel  anchor system, or the one who makes fertilizers out of dead men?

        From: Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@ gmail.com>
        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 10:49 AM

        The dead man = fertilizer.