Best manufactured hammock for large person

  • ktjensen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2008
      Hello Group,

      First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
      what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
      case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few models
      on ebay for less than $100.
    • Amy Bailey
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 12 12:53 PM
        I'm 200 (give or take) and am quite happy with the Expedition. I'm 5' 6".

        Now this is reminding me of a dating write-up.

        --Amy

        On 7/30/08, ktjensen <ktjensen@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
        > what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
        > case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few models
        > on ebay for less than $100.

      • Randal
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12 2:47 PM
          I'm 6'1" & 220 Lbs - have the HH Safari Dlx way comfy but a bit heavy a
          4+ Lbs. Like the full fly

          Randal

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ktjensen" <ktjensen@...> wrote:

          > Hello Group,
          >
          > First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
          > what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
          > case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few
          models
          > on ebay for less than $100.

        • Amy Bailey
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12 3:58 PM
            Also check http://hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.html

            List of what they were designed for, although I'm sure there's lots of
            safety margin built in.

            ---Amy

            On 8/12/08, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:

            > I'm 200 (give or take) and am quite happy with the Expedition. I'm 5' 6".
            >
            > Now this is reminding me of a dating write-up.
            >
            > --Amy
            >

            > On 7/30/08, ktjensen <ktjensen@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hello Group,
            >>
            >> First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
            >> what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
            >> case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few models
            >> on ebay for less than $100.

          • rosaleen43
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12 5:30 PM
              Hi, ktjensen-

              Your question did not give us your height.

              If you are no taller than 6'2," you could get by with an Expedition,
              OR, to save weight, a Backpacker Asym with upgraded ropes. These two
              models are the same size, just made from different materials.

              If you are over 6" tall, or just like extra room, consider the Explorer
              Ultralight. It is rated to 250 lb, and can be upgrqaded to 300 lb, if
              stronger hanging ropes are added.

              Regards,

              Rosaleen

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ktjensen" <ktjensen@...> wrote:

              > Hello Group,
              >
              > First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
              > what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
              > case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few
              models
              > on ebay for less than $100.

            • Pat
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12 7:05 PM
                If you looking for something under 100.00 I can't help you
                but if you are looking for something new and can afford it
                you might take a look at the NEW CLARK NX-200 from Clark Jungle
                Hammock http://www.junglehammock.com/ I even think that the Clark
                North American would work fine for you.

                I have both and I am 6'1 or so and weigh in at a about 240lbs and both
                work great for me. The new Clark's are reported to be 100 % mosquito
                proof material

                They are pricey but worth every penny IMO
                If this is not for you then disregard any of this
                take a look at some of the pictures we have @ the Clark yahoo group

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ktjensen" <ktjensen@...> wrote:

                > Hello Group,
                >
                > First post here, and maybe I should do some message searching, but
                > what is the best Hennesey Hammock for a large person (weigh 230 worst
                > case, but trying to go down to 190 in six months)? I see a few models
                > on ebay for less than $100.

              • Hogg Tyed
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13 1:22 PM
                  I'm 5' 10" and 360lbs. I have been using a Eagles Nest Outfitters
                  Double Hammock with the rain fly and bug nest. It is rated up to
                  400lbs so far it has held up well. It sure beats sleeping on the
                  ground.
                • Jeff Palmer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 14 4:31 PM
                    > I will be hiking from Mt. Katahdin south through Maine and New
                    > Hampshire on the AT, leaving September 4th. I'm using a Speer
                    > hammock and wonder if I should leave my bug net home. Any one have
                    > experience hiking in Maine and NH in the Fall who can give me some
                    > advice?

                    Thanks,

                    Jeff

                  • Amy Bailey
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 18 7:38 AM
                      I've been in Maine in late August and the mosquitoes are numerous. To say
                      the least. I've gotten 20 bites on each ankle when I forgot bug repellant.

                      ---Amy

                      On 8/14/08, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...> wrote:

                      > > I will be hiking from Mt. Katahdin south through Maine and New
                      > > Hampshire on the AT, leaving September 4th. I'm using a Speer
                      > > hammock and wonder if I should leave my bug net home. Any one have
                      > > experience hiking in Maine and NH in the Fall who can give me some
                      > > advice?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Jeff

                    • Amy Bailey
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 20 11:27 AM
                        By the way - I'll be camping near Acadia National Park tomorrow through
                        Tuesday, so I can give you a direct report. :)

                        ---Amy

                        On 8/18/08, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:

                        > I've been in Maine in late August and the mosquitoes are numerous. To say
                        > the least. I've gotten 20 bites on each ankle when I forgot bug repellant.
                        >
                        > ---Amy
                        >

                        > On 8/14/08, Jeff Palmer <japalmer@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > I will be hiking from Mt. Katahdin south through Maine and New
                        >> > Hampshire on the AT, leaving September 4th. I'm using a Speer
                        >> > hammock and wonder if I should leave my bug net home. Any one have
                        >> > experience hiking in Maine and NH in the Fall who can give me some
                        >> > advice?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks,
                        >>
                        >> Jeff

                      • Amy Bailey
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 23 12:42 PM
                          Jeff,

                          I went on a bird walk with a ranger this morning in Acadia NP (Ship
                          Harbor). After 10 minutes several people went back to their cars to use bug
                          repellent before continuing on the walk, due to the number of mosquitoes.

                          Another note - they've had lots of rain in Maine this summer. Today and
                          yesterday, many people remarked on how nice it was to have a day without
                          rain.

                          Good luck, and enjoy your hike!

                          ---Amy

                          On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:

                          > By the way - I'll be camping near Acadia National Park tomorrow through
                          > Tuesday, so I can give you a direct report. :)
                          >
                          > ---Amy
                          >

                          > On 8/18/08, Amy Bailey <rosecentaur@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I've been in Maine in late August and the mosquitoes are numerous. To say
                          >> the least. I've gotten 20 bites on each ankle when I forgot bug repellant.
                          >>
                          >> ---Amy

                          >>> Thanks,
                          >>>
                          >>> Jeff

                        • Jeff Palmer
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 23 3:28 PM
                            Amy,

                            Thanks for the info. I will definitely take my bug net, and perhaps
                            some DEET.

                            Jeff