RE: Hammock Camping Re: Field use questions

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30, 2003
      Message
      Aaron, I'll check--but I thought the weights were on the web page.  The good news is:  the Speer 8.0A  w/ 9X10 tarp is 2 lbs! Contact me at info@... if you have more questions....Ed

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Aaron [mailto:aaron@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 1:13 PM
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Hammock Camping Re: Field use questions

      Ed:
      I've been playing around with the HH hammock most of the morning and
      I've decided to return it. The tarp just isn't big enough for me to
      do what I need to do under it. I can see I would get wet if it were
      raining hard.

      There appear to be no weights published on your site for the Speer
      hammocks. I think it would be helpful to add this info so people
      like me can compare. It says "weights are approximate" but I can't
      find them anywhere. I'm interested in the 8.0, but I need to know
      what the total weight is with the 8x10 tarp. The HH hammock I got is
      2lbs, with the fitted tarp. If the total setup of the Speer hammock
      with the 8x10 tarp equals or exceeds 3 lbs, then it's a wash as far
      as weight is concerned with my current Tarptent/Thermarest system.
      That weight would increase beyond what I'm currently using if I have
      to add insulation for colder weather. This is bordering on not being
      viable for me on weight concerns alone. Either way, the HH hammock
      has to go back.
      -Aaron

      > Aaron, your concerns are quite real.  Your comment that it's not
      just
      > about sleeping or keeping warm is right on.  I'm sure others will
      offer
      > answers to your post, but I also wanted to respond since I've been
      > addressing these very concerns for many years.

      > My Hammock Camping book addresses these and many other 'practical'
      > issues--many archived posts on this list also offer advice.  I
      strongly
      > suggest a seperate 8X10 rain canopy for just the reasons you
      > mentioned--while it is possible to use a smaller one, it's just not
      > going to work well in less than ideal conditions.  My 8X10 easily
      goes
      > up before the hammock--I carry the tarp in an outside pack pocket,
      so in
      > the rain this means the pack is not opened and exposed to the rain
      until
      > it is safely under the tarp.  Breaking camp in the rain is
      similarly
      > easy since every thing is packed before the tarp comes down.
      Cooking
      > meals is a breeze under the large tarp--recently we cooked dinner
      and
      > fed 6 people under my tarp while it rained hard!  On another recent
      > trip, my hiking partner, who had a small-tarp hammock, joined me
      under
      > my tarp to cook dinner in the rain.  In fair weather, the larger
      tarp
      > can be pitched high over the hammock thus providing an unbeatable
      > stand-up shelter!  When conditions turn nasty, it can be lowered
      over
      > the hammock to provide protection from cold wind and driven rain.
      With
      > the hammock hung close to the ground, I often cook right from my
      hammock
      > by leaning over the side!  The larger rain canopy is so convenient
      that
      > many folks switch out the small one that came with their hammock--
      some
      > hammocks, such as my Speer hammocks, come with an 8X10 in the first
      > place; choose wisely.

      > Also, as you've guessed, trees are not all the ideal size for
      hammocks
      > and sufficiently long hanging gear is critical for proper setup and
      > sleeping comfort.  Unfortunately some commerical hammocks provide
      > insufficient hanging gear, apparently to save weight/costs.  The
      > customer often has no choice but to replace or extend the
      straps/ropes.
      > When doing so, safety suggests overlaping hanging straps at least
      5" and
      > using 4-7 heavy bar tacks with non-cotton thread to sew them
      together.

      > My Hammock Camping book is now available at most internet book
      stores
      > and some outfitters--links can be found at:
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com     My Speer hammocks are designed
      for
      > long-term wilderness use and thus address all of your concerns--
      check
      > them out at:  http://www.speerhammocks.com

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
      705

      065843:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
      ?mq
      > so=60164784&partid=3170658>

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=327224889>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2 4:27 AM

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi