Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 8, 2008
      Carey,

      I was just trying to point out things from the knot-handicapped point of
      view. This was a bit of a struggle, because I do knots and always
      have. If there are people that can't open jars of spaghetti, then there
      are people that can't tie their shoes and they thank God for vecro and
      buckles and slip-on shoes.

      Alternatives exist because it is good to have many ways of doing
      something. Just one knot won't solve all knot problems. There are
      times when knot substitutes actually are better because they reduce
      friction (i.e. biners).

      Knots are definitely underused. They're also underestimated. My own
      husband says the whole purpose of knots is to make pretty knots. I've
      argued that the whole point of pretty knots is being able to undo them.
      He doesn't have any real appreciation for the function of different
      knots. He ties great idiot knots (yes, they keep the water out of his
      sleeping bag, but they keep me from unpacking his sleeping bag). He
      does tie a good taunt-line hitch. For all of the hiking he's done, the
      taunt-line hitch is about all he's needed to know. He's happy undoing
      his own idiot knots--sometimes with a knife.

      CL

      Carey Parks wrote:
      > Are you saying the existence of these things proves knots are not better, or that people prefer to not learn knots? "Can't do knots." I think that's a choice. I don't know anyone who can't tie their shoes. Knots are not rocket science.
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28 3:58 AM
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499