RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 8, 2008
      Are you saying the existence of these things proves knots are not better, or that people prefer to not learn knots? "Can't do knots." I think that's a choice. I don't know anyone who can't tie their shoes. Knots are not rocket science.

      I always have one more knot if I need one. I have always had one handy when I needed it, and I never have to grope the bottom of my pack to find one. I have plenty to share with others, and they work regardless of the size of the line being used.

      In a way I consider knot tying a basic outdoor skill, like reading a compass or building a fire. True you can start a fire with a lighter or with a couple sticks and not everyone can do the latter. But it would be good if they could if they needed to.

      Sorry, here's the soap box if anyone wants it next. Knots are so useful and so under-used. Maybe cartoons should do more with knots when kids are young...

      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499