Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: would this work to hold line?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 8 6:08 AM
      I know people who cannot even open a jar of spaghetti. Heaven forbid
      hammocking should discriminate against the knot-handicapped.

      Some people just can't do knots. So, we've lots of devices to help them
      out.

      Even for the knot-handy, these devices can be really convenient.

      Think about all the velcro closures on shoes.

      Think about the JRB quilts. They're attached to bungies with a biner.
      Knots would work just as well and save 6 g (0.2 oz) per biner.

      Think about the Hennessey hammocks. The tarp comes with plastic loops
      on each corner that can hook into the hook attached to the spectra with
      a prussik knot. Attaching the tarp to the hammock spectra with a
      taunt-line hitch would work just as well, would be lots lighter, and
      wouldn't take that much more time.

      As for special do-whichies as knot substitutes, I've lost some good
      shackles to the mud on the bottom of the lake. At least rope and string
      floats long enough to pick up out of the water.

      CL

      Bill Keiser wrote:
      > i don't understand, what is the matter with using a knot?
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499