Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots in Spectra

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 5 7:20 PM
      Hi Ralph,

      I remember reading about your water knot and webbing solution a year or
      so ago. It's a great idea but it can add weight (especially if I use
      climbing webbing). I'd like to use 2-inch width, too. It will mainly
      have to depend on what I can find in Taiwan's hiking and hardware stores.

      Most of the fraying on my huggers (because it showed up during the first
      2-3 times of setting up my hammock in my yard) probably had to do with
      the way I was trying to tie the Hennessey Wrap. I was poking the line
      through the huggers with each wrap. Pictures posted at Shane's Place
      with No Name and Sgt.Rock's site helped enormously.

      Since I started using biners, I've not noticed any increase in wear on
      the tree hugger loops. When these tree huggers start looking on the sad
      side, I will going to have to come up with something and your solution
      is the easiest (even before I read your solution, I used the same method
      to rig permanent huggers around the steel poles in my carport).

      New huggers will have to be longer, too, because Taiwan trees tend to be
      bigger (DBH 30-1500 cm) than the ones tree huggers are designed for (DBH
      10 cm). I'm almost never able to wrap a tree hugger around the tree a
      time or two. Usually, I'm feeding one end of the hugger through another
      and clipping the hammock onto the loose end.

      CL

      Ralph Oborn wrote:
      > So I made my own! from some long strapping. I used a water knot to make a
      > large loop (3 meters or 10 foot long) so when I tie up I'm on a different
      > part of the loop every time (no single wear point for fraying). I can make
      > longer loops for bigger trees, or wrap two (or three) times around smaller
      > trees. And if a strap gets to gummy if becomes disposable.
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499