Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots in Spectra

  • Douglas Campbell
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 5, 2008
      Hey Ralph,

      I have been having good luck with just taking my tree straps (Wal-mart
      webbing) and wrapping them around the tree, with the rope from the hammock
      underneath the wraps (just letting it hang there while I do the wraps) and
      then tie the ends of the webbing together with a square knot (there is no
      stress at all on this knot with multiple wraps of the webbing). I do the
      same on the other end. Then I take the loose end of the rope (I just use
      cheap 3/8", yellow, polypropylene, hollow-braid rope) and tie an Adjustable
      Grip Hitch onto the standing part. I adjust the knot to where I want it on
      both ends of the hammock and I'm done. It's easy, the tree straps don't
      have to be special and it's all very easy to adjust after setting it up. I
      "slip" the Adjustable Grip Hitch for quick release; and it never binds.

      Doug Campbell

      On 8/5/08, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

      > Cara when I got my Hennessy with tree huggers the most obvious wear
      > point
      > (with potential failure) was the loop ends of the tree huggers. I was also
      > concerned about how short they were, and about getting pine gum on them.
      > ( I camp in the pine forests of Idaho (USA)).
      >
      > So I made my own! from some long strapping. I used a water knot to make a
      > large loop (3 meters or 10 foot long) so when I tie up I'm on a different
      > part of the loop every time (no single wear point for fraying). I can make
      > longer loops for bigger trees, or wrap two (or three) times around smaller
      > trees. And if a strap gets to gummy if becomes disposable.
      >
      > I got a big coil of strap (2 inch) from an Army-Navy store, but motorcycle
      > tie down straps or tow straps could also be used.
      >
      > We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. (Ben
      > Franklin) :]
      >
      > Ralph

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499