RE: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30, 2003
      > Do you have a video of you doing this? I'm having a
      > hard time visualizing how this is possible...especially
      > the part about "When you wake up in the morning, just
      > switch ends in the hammock so that your head is at the
      > foot end." And if your stove is a little off to one
      > side, is it still covered by the tarp, in case there is
      > a light rain?...or is this for fair weather only?

      I don't have a video, but maybe I can 'splain it a little better...

      The proper way to lay in a hammock is diagonally. In a HH A-sym, if you're
      laying on your back, your upper body will be on the left side and in the end
      away from the entrance slit while your feet will be on the right side and in
      the end with the entrance slit.

      To change this position, simply sit up, pull your legs up, do a little scoot
      to turn yourself, and put your legs where you upper body was, and your upper
      body where your legs were. Now you'll be in a position to dangle an arm out
      of the entrance slit.

      The stove should be a little off to the side, but not so far away that you
      can't reach it. You just don't want to light the stove directly under the
      hammock. You can do this in rainy weather, so long as the wind isn't too
      bad, since the stove is still covered by the tarp.

      Shane
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi