Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots in Spectra

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 5, 2008
      Cara when I got my Hennessy with tree huggers the most obvious wear point
      (with potential failure) was the loop ends of the tree huggers. I was also
      concerned about how short they were, and about getting pine gum on them.
      ( I camp in the pine forests of Idaho (USA)).

      So I made my own! from some long strapping. I used a water knot to make a
      large loop (3 meters or 10 foot long) so when I tie up I'm on a different
      part of the loop every time (no single wear point for fraying). I can make
      longer loops for bigger trees, or wrap two (or three) times around smaller
      trees. And if a strap gets to gummy if becomes disposable.

      I got a big coil of strap (2 inch) from an Army-Navy store, but motorcycle
      tie down straps or tow straps could also be used.

      We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. (Ben
      Franklin) :]

      Ralph

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28 3:58 AM
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499