[Hammock Camping] Re: Knots in Spectra

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 5, 2008
      Cara,

      I understand what you are saying and have had the same experiences
      with certain ropes. What I am trying to point out is that with a
      slippery bowline, I have noticed that a minor detail in how you insert
      the last piece of rope into the loop can play a huge part in how
      difficult it is to release.

      Whether that little detail has anything to do with what you are doing
      and if it does, whether it is enough help, is another matter. It
      seemed to make that type of difference for the small diameter
      spyderline I currently have for the few times I have played with it.

      A slippery bowline by itself should be all you need to finish off a
      hammock suspension line unless you are trying to tie it off taut and
      is reasonable to tie and release when it works right. Whether it
      works right is a function of several things. The materials involved
      AND how you insert that last piece of rope in the loop are a couple of
      those things. If you are trying to tie off a hammock suspension line
      taut, I would suggest you consider tying it off higher on the trees so
      you don't have to do that. I think tying off higher with some some
      initial sag is best approach when the distance between trees isn't too
      large to prevent it. There is less stress on everything that way and
      you get less stretch when you get into your hammock as well.

      When we hang a hammock, the first thing to determine is the span, or
      the distance between trees. Once we do that we decided how high to
      tie off the hammock. My suggestion for most hammocks is to tie off
      shoulder high for spans of 12 feet, head high for spans of 15 feet,
      and as high as you can reach for spans of 18 feet or more. When you
      do that you should have some sag in the hammock suspension so the
      hammock itself drops to a usable distance above the terrain. With sag
      in the suspension line you don't need a trucker's hitch to pull the
      suspension line taut and the slippery bowline will work by itself.

      Dave
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499