Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Knots in Spectra

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 4, 2008
      Hi Dave,

      With that Hennessey Spectra, slippery bowline would be about as
      difficult to untie as an ordinary bowline. That spectra can really bind
      tight. The things about bowlines and alpine butterflies, is that
      they're supposed to have the quick releases. With most knots, they do.
      With that spectra, they were about as bad to untie as a granny knot.

      I was using these knots to put semi-permanent loops in the spectra for
      leverage when tying off--sort of like a trucker's hitch. I ran the line
      from hammock through a biner (looped through tree huggers) back through
      the bowline or alpine butterfly loop back through the biner and then
      tied a taunt-line hitch. Once tied, it was easy to adjust. I still
      have to re-tie the taunt-line hitch at every camp, because of
      differences in tree distances. So, I've decided the Hennessey Wrap ends
      up taking about as much time.

      CL

      Dave Womble wrote:
      > Cara,
      >
      > Back when I used a HH I recall having the same experience with
      > slippery bowlines. Recently I have looked at some of the Spyderline
      > cord, the 2.8 mm and the 3.8 mm. What I noticed 'this time' with this
      > line, especially the smaller line, was that how easily it releases
      > from a slippery bowline depends on how I finish the bowline. You have
      > a choice of putting the quick release loop inside of outside the line
      > you initially put through the loop you form... if that makes any
      > sense. When I put it outside, it is more difficult to release than
      > when I put it inside... it can be a big difference.
      >
      > Of course how well webbing or rope holds and releases with any knot is
      > a function of the particular materials involved.
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499