Re: Knots in Spectra

    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 4, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      <cara.lin@...> wrote:

      > I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
      > Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
      > Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and
      tear
      > on the tree huggers.
      >
      > Well, both knots were almost impossible to untie, taking 15-30 minutes
      > each (no teeth, no marlinespikes). The alpine butterfly was a little
      > easier. So, after tying these knots, using them, and seeing how hard
      > they are to untie and what they can do to the line (shiny compressed
      > sections), I've decided that the Hennessey Wrap probably is the best
      way
      > to go if you want to take care of your spectra. It is also the
      > lightest, because it does not require any extra hardware.
      >
      > I've not yet tested the Wrap on a system with a carabiner between the
      > tree huggers and the spectra, but expect it will work the same, provide
      > a drip-line, and prevent wear and tear on both huggers and spectra.
      >
      > CL
      > who admits that tree huggers will be a whole lot easier to replace than
      > spectra.

      Cara,

      Back when I used a HH I recall having the same experience with
      slippery bowlines. Recently I have looked at some of the Spyderline
      cord, the 2.8 mm and the 3.8 mm. What I noticed 'this time' with this
      line, especially the smaller line, was that how easily it releases
      from a slippery bowline depends on how I finish the bowline. You have
      a choice of putting the quick release loop inside of outside the line
      you initially put through the loop you form... if that makes any
      sense. When I put it outside, it is more difficult to release than
      when I put it inside... it can be a big difference.

      Of course how well webbing or rope holds and releases with any knot is
      a function of the particular materials involved.

      Dave
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499