Knots in Spectra

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 3, 2008
      I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
      Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
      Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
      on the tree huggers.

      Well, both knots were almost impossible to untie, taking 15-30 minutes
      each (no teeth, no marlinespikes). The alpine butterfly was a little
      easier. So, after tying these knots, using them, and seeing how hard
      they are to untie and what they can do to the line (shiny compressed
      sections), I've decided that the Hennessey Wrap probably is the best way
      to go if you want to take care of your spectra. It is also the
      lightest, because it does not require any extra hardware.

      I've not yet tested the Wrap on a system with a carabiner between the
      tree huggers and the spectra, but expect it will work the same, provide
      a drip-line, and prevent wear and tear on both huggers and spectra.

      CL
      who admits that tree huggers will be a whole lot easier to replace than
      spectra.
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499