Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • bww00amdahl
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30, 2003
      Shane,

      Do you use the canopy that comes with the hh or did you get a custom
      job like sgt rock ?

      regards
      Bryan Webb
      Trussville Alabama

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
      <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > 1) The tree straps seem way too short. According to the HH
      > > web site's setup recommendations, you'd need to restrict
      > > yourself to a 4" diameter tree to get the strap around
      > > twice. They seem woefully inadequate for real field use.
      > > If I want a longer strap it means I have to drive to REI
      > > (or order it) and spend time sewing up the ends. Is that
      > > what you guys have done?
      >
      > You can make your own straps, but you don't have to stitch the
      loops - you
      > can just tie a water knot.
      >
      > In reality, though, you don't need longer straps. While I wish
      that
      > Hennessy would provide them as standard equipment, the 42" they
      send you is
      > adequate. (They do offer longer straps, but you have to order
      them or
      > request them when ordering the hammock.)
      >
      > When using them around trees that are too big, you just use them
      as far as
      > they go. You can either use a fisherman's knot or the 'regular'
      figure 8
      > knot in this configuration. I have a picture of this in my
      Explorer Deluxe
      > A-Sym Initial Report on backpackgeartest.org. We've got pretty
      big trees
      > down here in most of the places I camp, and I've never actually
      had real
      > trouble.
      >
      > > 2) What do you do if you're setting up this thing in the
      > > rain? According to the design specs, the hammock goes up
      > > first, and the tarp attaches to the hammock line.
      >
      > That's just a one time job. After that, leave the tarp attached.
      Get the
      > Snakeskins. They ARE worth it, although they can take some
      getting used to.
      > There is a page on my website that gives detailed instructions.
      See:

      > www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/sections/gear/shelter/hthh.htm
      >
      > I also talk about this in the Field and Long Term Explorer Deluxe
      A-sym
      > reports on BGT.
      >
      > > 3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't
      > > eaten dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on
      > > the trail then hike more, but not always). Set up the tarp
      > > alone in-between two trees, cook under there, then set up
      > > the hammock beneath? What about if it's raining in the
      > > morning and the designated breakfast requires cooking (or
      > > you're a tea addict like me?) The hammock has to come
      > > down before any of this happens.
      >
      > When you want to cook, simply string the hammock up, retract the
      Snakeskins,
      > and set the tarp. Grab the hammock bed, roll it up, and tuck it
      over the
      > ridge cord out of your way.
      >
      > I've never had a faster or easier setup than using the HH with the
      > Snakeskins in this way. I can be out of my wet gear before my
      buddies even
      > have their tarps or tents pitched.
      >
      > > In rain or colder weather, I often cook from my sleeping
      > > bag. I don't see any way of doing this while using a
      > > hammock. This restricts hammock camping to only the
      > > warmest of days or nice-weather days, at least for my
      > > style.
      >
      > You just have to think ahead. Your alcohol stove is ideal for
      hammock
      > cooking. When you wake up in the morning, just switch ends in the
      hammock
      > so that your head is at the foot end. Dangle an arm out of the
      entrance
      > slit, light your stove, and put your water on. Of course, the
      stove needs
      > to be off a little to one side or the other. It takes some
      getting used to
      > in order to successfully carry off this monkey stunt, but it's
      easy enough
      > once you figure it out.
      >
      > If you really can't get the hang of that, then get out of the
      hammock, take
      > your morning whiz, pull the sleeping pad out, put it on the
      ground, pull
      > your sleeping bag out, put it on the pad, roll the hammock bed and
      tuck it
      > over the ridge cord, then get back in the sleeping bag to make
      your tea.

      > I haven't used the Hennessy in severely cold weather, but another
      idea would
      > be to get out, take your morning whiz, and drop the hammock
      suspension lines
      > until the hammock bed is resting on the ground. Crawl back into
      the hammock
      > bed and your sleeping bag, turning it around so that you wind up
      with you
      > head at the entrance slit end, and cook like you were in a bivy.
      You could
      > conceivably do this for dinner as well, and then raise the
      suspension ropes
      > when it's time for bed.
      >
      > Of course, this is all with the HH and the bottom entry slit.
      It's a
      > complication you pay for with the HH. With a 'normal' top entry
      hammock,
      > like a Speer Hammock, or any number of other hammocks, you simply
      dangle
      > over the edge and cook. Don't get any misconceptions, however,
      this is just
      > as much a monkey trick as with the HH. I've ditched myself out of
      a hammock
      > from time to time with this trick.
      >
      > Like I said before, I'm not too keen on doing this anymore. I'd
      just as
      > soon get up, stow the hammock bed over the ridge cord, put my
      ground cloth
      > down (yes, I carry one even when hammocking) put my pad down, sit
      down, and
      > drape my sleeping bag over my shoulders and wrap it around me.
      I'm still
      > toasty warm, but I don't have any of the safety issues mentioned
      previously.

      > > It's not just about sleeping or keeping warm. I can see
      > > that hammock camping requires a fundamental shift in
      > > approach and thinking about how camp activities are done.
      > > I would appreciate detailed stories about how these
      > > obstacles are dealt with by you guys that are sold
      > > on it.
      >
      > You'd think so, but the fundamental shift is actually an
      illusion. A
      > hammock setup is just a tarp, like any other tarp, with the
      addition of the
      > hammock bed. The hammock bed rolls up and tucks under the ridge
      cord, you
      > can put it out of your way for cooking or other chores. Think
      about it - if
      > you removed the hammock bed, you'd just have a tarp with a ridge
      cord.
      > Don't let the addition of the hammock bed throw you off. I carry
      a diamond
      > shaped ground cloth when hammocking. This is for when I have to
      use the
      > hammock as a bivy when I can't hang it. This ground cloth allows
      me to
      > simply setup like a 'normal' tarp, however for cooking or doing
      other camp
      > chores that are a pain to do in the hammock itself.
      >
      > I tend to be one that doesn't mind the cold, so I'm not into
      irritating
      > myself by cooking inside my sleeping bag. I rarely do this any
      more because
      > I have found it to be dangerous - and to my mind it would be even
      more
      > dangerous with a liquid fuel stove of any kind. The last place
      you want to
      > be when you find yourself set on fire is zipped up in a sleeping
      bag. One
      > man died recently in just such a situation.
      >
      > Having said that, I've also given up hiking in the cold. If the
      temperature
      > is going to be below zero, I just won't go out anymore. It just
      isn't worth
      > it to me anymore. That doesn't mean that hammock camping is
      impossible,
      > though. I've slept in a hammock all the way down to -29 degrees.
      On that
      > trip I was using a closed cell foam pad about 5/8 inch thick,
      wrapped in
      > thin plastic, which was then wrapped in two wool blankets. I was
      toasty
      > warm, but I also had ALL my clothes on, and a slightly complicated
      tarp
      > setup. (This also meant that I had a heavy sledge to pull during
      the day,
      > but that's better than carrying a heavy pack.)
      >
      > Regular camp chores are easy. If the weather is good, then there
      aren't
      > many tricks. If the weather is bad, then the hammock rig actually
      shines.
      > When you're soaked to the bone, it's really nice to be able to set
      the
      > hammock up, strip everything off and hang it on the ridge cord to
      dry, then
      > have a dry place to sit and relax for awhile. I really appreciate
      this
      > during lunch breaks in the rain, which is frequent down here in
      the early
      > afternoon. My non-hammocking hiking buddies (heathens!) are
      always envious
      > when I set the hammock up as a lounger for rainy lunch breaks.
      They also
      > appreciate it when I let them sit under me rather than huddle
      miserably in
      > their ponchos...
      >
      > The lounge chair configuration works with ALL hammocks and should
      NOT be
      > overlooked. It is, in my opinion the second best thing about
      hammock
      > camping. It will literally drive your hiking buddies green with
      envy that
      > you set your shelter up at EVERY break and have a sheltered place
      to sit.
      > In addition, you can set up camp everywhere that they can, and
      MANY more
      > places that they cannot.
      >
      > Hammocking doesn't make you better than them, but it quickly
      becomes
      > apparent that it makes you smarter... Everybody might out hike
      you, but you
      > out sleep them - and in the end sleep is the third most important
      > consideration on long hikes, following hydration and nutrition.
      I've
      > actually seen more long distance hikers wash out due to improper
      rest than
      > anything else - but it's a statistic that you never see
      mentioned. Long
      > after your buddies have exhausted themselves, you will still be
      sleeping
      > well at night, and that makes an incredible difference in your
      mood and your
      > hike.
      >
      > There are a lot of pages available for a lot of 'tips and tricks'.
      > Definitely peruse Sgt. Rock's website: www.hikinghq.net. There
      are a few
      > pages on my website too, besides the How To Hennessy Hammock pages.
      >
      > Shane
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi