Re: [Hammock Camping] would this work to hold line?

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 42 , Aug 3, 2008
      I would be wary -- the catalog did not give any load ratings for these
      cleats. I don't think I'd trust them to hold my weight, plus the
      extra leverage imposed by the hammock. Also, cleats like these tend
      to abrade the lines, shortening their lives. And they don't make the
      most secure connections, and thus could let you down suddenly in the
      middle of the night. I'd look to climbing hardware, rather than
      sailing gadets, for hammock use.

      John
      On Aug 3, 2008, at 20:58 , Greg Welker wrote:

      > Looking through a sailing catalog, I came across this piece of
      > hardware. It looks like it would work on a hammock line -
      >
      > http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d273000/e270515.asp

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 28, 2008
        Hi Moz,

        I like that knot. It's basically a prussic with a clever way of tying
        off. Once tied, is it adjustable?

        The pics are great--very clear.

        CL

        Moz wrote:
        > Cara Lin Bridgman said:
        >> I have tied bowline and an alpine butterfly knots in my Hennessey
        >> Hammock spectra so I could use other ways of tying my hammock than the
        >> Hennessey Wrap. The Wrap was tedious and was causing some wear and tear
        >> on the tree huggers.
        >
        > I played around with wrap-style knots and came up with one that's
        > quick to tie and has worked well for me for a couple of years now.
        > Have a go and let me know if it works for you:
        >
        > http://moz.net.nz/photo/2005/07/25-knot/
        >
        > If the pics don't make sense I can have another go, but the last
        > person to ask did it just off those.
        >
        > Moz

        Cara Lin Bridgman cara.lin@...

        Taichung County 43499