Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2003
      Ed:
      Now I see that it says "2lbs" next to the specs for the 8.0A, but I
      don't understand how this is possible. The HH hammock weighs 2 lbs
      with a fitted tarp. How can yours weigh 2lbs with an 8x10 tarp,
      unless the hammock material is significantly thinner?
      Please explain how this is possible, and I'd like to know the
      weights of hammock and tarp separately, which I don't see.
      -Aaron
      > Aaron, your concerns are quite real. Your comment that it's not
      just
      > about sleeping or keeping warm is right on. I'm sure others will
      offer
      > answers to your post, but I also wanted to respond since I've been
      > addressing these very concerns for many years.
      >
      > My Hammock Camping book addresses these and many other 'practical'
      > issues--many archived posts on this list also offer advice. I
      strongly
      > suggest a seperate 8X10 rain canopy for just the reasons you
      > mentioned--while it is possible to use a smaller one, it's just not
      > going to work well in less than ideal conditions. My 8X10 easily
      goes
      > up before the hammock--I carry the tarp in an outside pack pocket,
      so in
      > the rain this means the pack is not opened and exposed to the rain
      until
      > it is safely under the tarp. Breaking camp in the rain is
      similarly
      > easy since every thing is packed before the tarp comes down.
      Cooking
      > meals is a breeze under the large tarp--recently we cooked dinner
      and
      > fed 6 people under my tarp while it rained hard! On another recent
      > trip, my hiking partner, who had a small-tarp hammock, joined me
      under
      > my tarp to cook dinner in the rain. In fair weather, the larger
      tarp
      > can be pitched high over the hammock thus providing an unbeatable
      > stand-up shelter! When conditions turn nasty, it can be lowered
      over
      > the hammock to provide protection from cold wind and driven rain.
      With
      > the hammock hung close to the ground, I often cook right from my
      hammock
      > by leaning over the side! The larger rain canopy is so convenient
      that
      > many folks switch out the small one that came with their hammock--
      some
      > hammocks, such as my Speer hammocks, come with an 8X10 in the first
      > place; choose wisely.
      >
      > Also, as you've guessed, trees are not all the ideal size for
      hammocks
      > and sufficiently long hanging gear is critical for proper setup and
      > sleeping comfort. Unfortunately some commerical hammocks provide
      > insufficient hanging gear, apparently to save weight/costs. The
      > customer often has no choice but to replace or extend the
      straps/ropes.
      > When doing so, safety suggests overlaping hanging straps at least
      5" and
      > using 4-7 heavy bar tacks with non-cotton thread to sew them
      together.

      > My Hammock Camping book is now available at most internet book
      stores
      > and some outfitters--links can be found at:
      > http://www.hammockcamping.com My Speer hammocks are designed
      for
      > long-term wilderness use and thus address all of your concerns--
      check
      > them out at: http://www.speerhammocks.com

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
      705

      065843:HM/A=1564415/R=0/SIG=11t6t7kdo/*http://www.netflix.com/Default
      ?mq
      > so=60164784&partid=3170658>
      >
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
      > pmail/S=:HM/A=1564415/rand=327224889>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2 4:27 AM

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi