RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hennessy vs Clark vs Mosquito Hammock

  • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
      Tom and all:

      Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
      utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
      of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
      difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
      generally use.

      Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

      Bear

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
        I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

        I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

        I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
          I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
          Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

          > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
          moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
          the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
          yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
          wider hammock.

          > Tom

        • wisedove_wisedove
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
            Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
            model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
            son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
            Dove --