[Hammock Camping] Re: Hennessy vs Clark vs Mosquito Hammock

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
      Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
      feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

      Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
      have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
      hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
      the mosquito NN has me about to order.

      I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
      cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
      ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
      sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

      The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
      want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
      necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
      like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
      easily added to an open style hammock.

      I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
      rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
      ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
      interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
      hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
      stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
      because of heavy rain clouds.

      Best, Todd F.
    • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
        Tom and all:

        Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
        utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
        of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
        difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
        generally use.

        Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

        Bear

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
          I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

          I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

          I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
            I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
            Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

            > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
            moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
            the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
            yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
            wider hammock.

            > Tom

          • wisedove_wisedove
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
              Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
              model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
              son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
              Dove --