Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hennessy vs Clark vs Mosquito Hammock

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
      The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

      Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

      I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
        Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
        feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

        Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
        have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
        hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
        the mosquito NN has me about to order.

        I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
        cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
        ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
        sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

        The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
        want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
        necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
        like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
        easily added to an open style hammock.

        I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
        rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
        ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
        interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
        hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
        stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
        because of heavy rain clouds.

        Best, Todd F.
      • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
          Tom and all:

          Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
          utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
          of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
          difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
          generally use.

          Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

          Bear

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
            I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

            I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

            I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
              I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
              Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

              > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
              moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
              the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
              yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
              wider hammock.

              > Tom

            • wisedove_wisedove
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 3 7:21 PM
                Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                Dove --