Re: [Hammock Camping] Sewn Through Down Quilt

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
        I'm no expert on quilt making, but I'd guess that the loss of length wouldn't be much because of the sewn through construction, but I'd allow for at least 2 or 3".
         I do know that it would be better to end up w/ an extra inch or two rather than coming up short in width/length.

         Again, I'm not the expert, but I'd say no more than about 8" wide baffles. If they are to wide, there's not enough control of the down, allowing thick & thin spots. ...Tim

      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
        My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
        threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
        held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
        "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
        The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
        didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
        construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
        7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
        well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
        product.
      • billybob38801
        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
          I would also like to add about the Claytor No Net version: What ever
          the benefits or drawbacks of these particular hammocks might be, one
          advantage is that the Speer PeaPod works superbly with this hammock,
          even better than it does with most top loaders. I believe that is only
          because it is a more narrow hammock than most. Again, whatever the
          overall benefits or negatives of a more narrow hammmock might be, it
          allows the PeaPod to lay down on the top of my body pretty much as if
          I was on the ground in a down sleeping bag. IOW, there is little or no
          air space above my body- caused by the hammock sides holding the Pod
          above your body- that needs to be filled with a top quilt. Although,
          this will vary a bit depending on the amount of sag you hand the
          hammock with. But it always works good!

          In addition, for whatever reason, the bottom layer seems extra easy to
          adjust so that it is just barely in contact with my while still
          maintaining FULL loft. This is one warm, easy to use combo!

          All of these hammocks have their pros and cons, and I don't like
          everything about the Claytor NN, though it is one of my favorite
          hammocks overall. But I just thought I would point out, for those
          considering one of these hammocks, how GREAT it works with the already
          wonderful PeaPod. I also have a Claytor jungle. and it works as well
          with it if you turn the Claytor over, though I'm not yet sure I like
          the feel of the JH as well once it is turned upside down. But it will
          work.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

          > My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
          > threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
          > held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
          > "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
          > The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
          > didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
          > construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
          > 7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
          > well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
          > product.

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
            The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

            Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

            I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
              Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
              feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

              Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
              have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
              hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
              the mosquito NN has me about to order.

              I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
              cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
              ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
              sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

              The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
              want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
              necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
              like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
              easily added to an open style hammock.

              I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
              rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
              ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
              interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
              hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
              stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
              because of heavy rain clouds.

              Best, Todd F.
            • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                Tom and all:

                Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
                utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
                of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
                difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
                generally use.

                Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

                Bear

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                  I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

                  I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

                  I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                    I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
                    Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

                    > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
                    moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
                    the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
                    yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
                    wider hammock.

                    > Tom

                  • wisedove_wisedove
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                      Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                      model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                      son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                      Dove --