Sewn Through Down Quilt

  • Brian H
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
      I just came across a couple pounds of down/feather mix (probably 500 fill).
      My thought is to use some of my Wally World $1/yd 1.1 oz ripstop and sew up
      a summer quilt.

      The final dimensions ideally will be 76x48, with an omni tape and drawstring
      footbox. This is for use in a spear type hammock.

      My question to the group is, how much additional length/width should I allow
      for, knowing that I will lose some with the sewn through design, and about
      how far apart should the down channels be?

      Thanks,

      Brian H
      Folsom, CA
      Message 2 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
          I'm no expert on quilt making, but I'd guess that the loss of length wouldn't be much because of the sewn through construction, but I'd allow for at least 2 or 3".
           I do know that it would be better to end up w/ an extra inch or two rather than coming up short in width/length.

           Again, I'm not the expert, but I'd say no more than about 8" wide baffles. If they are to wide, there's not enough control of the down, allowing thick & thin spots. ...Tim

        Message 3 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
          My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
          threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
          held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
          "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
          The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
          didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
          construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
          7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
          well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
          product.
        • billybob38801
          Message 4 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
            I would also like to add about the Claytor No Net version: What ever
            the benefits or drawbacks of these particular hammocks might be, one
            advantage is that the Speer PeaPod works superbly with this hammock,
            even better than it does with most top loaders. I believe that is only
            because it is a more narrow hammock than most. Again, whatever the
            overall benefits or negatives of a more narrow hammmock might be, it
            allows the PeaPod to lay down on the top of my body pretty much as if
            I was on the ground in a down sleeping bag. IOW, there is little or no
            air space above my body- caused by the hammock sides holding the Pod
            above your body- that needs to be filled with a top quilt. Although,
            this will vary a bit depending on the amount of sag you hand the
            hammock with. But it always works good!

            In addition, for whatever reason, the bottom layer seems extra easy to
            adjust so that it is just barely in contact with my while still
            maintaining FULL loft. This is one warm, easy to use combo!

            All of these hammocks have their pros and cons, and I don't like
            everything about the Claytor NN, though it is one of my favorite
            hammocks overall. But I just thought I would point out, for those
            considering one of these hammocks, how GREAT it works with the already
            wonderful PeaPod. I also have a Claytor jungle. and it works as well
            with it if you turn the Claytor over, though I'm not yet sure I like
            the feel of the JH as well once it is turned upside down. But it will
            work.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

            > My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
            > threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
            > held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
            > "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
            > The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
            > didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
            > construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
            > 7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
            > well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
            > product.

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
              The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

              Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

              I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
                Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
                feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

                Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
                have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
                hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
                the mosquito NN has me about to order.

                I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
                cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
                ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
                sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

                The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
                want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
                necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
                like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
                easily added to an open style hammock.

                I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
                rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
                ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
                interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
                hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
                stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
                because of heavy rain clouds.

                Best, Todd F.
              • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                  Tom and all:

                  Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
                  utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
                  of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
                  difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
                  generally use.

                  Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

                  Bear

                • Tom Frazier
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                    I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

                    I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

                    I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                      I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
                      Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

                      > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
                      moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
                      the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
                      yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
                      wider hammock.

                      > Tom

                    • wisedove_wisedove
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                        Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                        model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                        son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                        Dove --