Re: Hammock Camping Field use questions

  • Jay Willis
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 29, 2003
      Aaron wrote:

      > 2) What do you do if you're setting up this thing in the rain?
      > According to the design specs,the hammock goes up first, and the
      > tarp attaches to the hammock line. I can see a significant amount of
      > water getting inside the hammock in the time it takes to tie up the
      > second side and when you'd get the tarp thrown over it. I can
      > definitely see advantages of adding cord to the other tarp ends and
      > tying that up first, independent of the hammock. Anyone doing that?

      Get the snakeskins. They keep the hammock dry while setting up. My fly is already
      attached to the support line so that when I find a place to stay for the night, I
      first attach one end of the support line to a tree (I use the bowline with a
      slip), attach the other end to the other tree (trucker's hitch), stake out the
      fly, pull off the snakeskins, and tie out the hammock. The hammock never gets
      wet.

      The snakeskins and Garlington's taco idea are the two best innovations I've seen
      for hammocking.

      > 3) If it's raining when you get into camp and you haven't eaten
      > dinner yet, what then? (Sometimes I eat dinner on the trail then
      > hike more, but not always). Set up the tarp alone in-between two
      > trees, cook under there, then set up the hammock beneath? What about
      > if it's raining in the morning and the designated breakfast requires
      > cooking (or you're a tea addict like me?) The hammock has to come
      > down before any of this happens. In rain or colder weather, I often
      > cook from my sleeping bag. I don't see any way of doing this while
      > using a hammock. This restricts hammock camping to only the warmest
      > of days or nice-weather days, at least for my style.

      If it's raining I attach an 8x10 tarp between the two trees and eat under there.
      Keeps everything dry - pack, shoes, ...
    • J Cornelius
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 2, 2003

        <snort> Not nearly as hard as I will the first time I get to do it!  Of course, that will be after the initial shock of finding myself asleep on the roof of my hammock wears off ROTFL!

        Jodi