Trike touring single-pole tie

  • Tomislav
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2008
      Hello fine gentlemen (and ladies)!
      I plan to go on a recumbent trike tour which will take me places where
      sometimes I won't be able to find a good spot to hang my hammock
      (Claytor Jungle). I will be able to find single tie points (such as
      powerline poles) but I'm wondering how to improvise the second
      tie-point. I'd like to use my recumbent trike (similar to these two:
      http://life.is.just.a.dre.am/recumbent1.jpg
      http://life.is.just.a.dre.am/recumbent2.jpg ) as a support for an
      improvised stand - using it as counterweight etc. Does anyone have any
      ideas?
      Just to make sure I am being clear, I know about the bivy-style
      hammock camping i.e. laying it on ground and tying it off to 2 walking
      sticks/alternative supports. What I'd like to somehow pull off is
      using the hammock in a regular way i.e. offground when I only have a
      single pole + my trike/equipment available.
      Thank you!
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2008
        There are two main concerns with your proposal

        1. Height from the ground, What is the highest point on your trike? Is it
        enough to keep your butt off the ground?
        2. Mass! for most hammocks (especially in your case where the hammock
        will need to be hung tight) have tensions of over 500 lbs. I'm not sure if
        your trike has enough mass to offset this.

        Ralph

        On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Tomislav <d_tomoe_b@...> wrote:

        > Hello fine gentlemen (and ladies)!
        > I plan to go on a recumbent trike tour which will take me places where
        > sometimes I won't be able to find a good spot to hang my hammock
        > (Claytor Jungle). I will be able to find single tie points (such as
        > powerline poles) but I'm wondering how to improvise the second
        > tie-point. I'd like to use my recumbent trike (similar to these two:
        > http://life.is.just.a.dre.am/recumbent1.jpg
        > http://life.is.just.a.dre.am/recumbent2.jpg ) as a support for an
        > improvised stand - using it as counterweight etc. Does anyone have any
        > ideas?
        > Just to make sure I am being clear, I know about the bivy-style
        > hammock camping i.e. laying it on ground and tying it off to 2 walking
        > sticks/alternative supports. What I'd like to somehow pull off is
        > using the hammock in a regular way i.e. offground when I only have a
        > single pole + my trike/equipment available.
        > Thank you!

      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2008
          Ive thought about this problem for a motorcycle with no real solution. The problem is a lack of counterweight for the force you create while you are in the hammock.
          You could use a dog run spiral steak <http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=1603> to secure/anchor/tie down a single pole or an inverted 'v' to the earth if a 2nd tree is not available

          I know there are other images but this is what I was able to find

          Single Vertical Pole
          <http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/singlepolehammock.htm>
          this second illustration is an extra secure double staking method. The Line on the left side is going to either a Single vertical Pole or a 2 stick inverted "V"

          Single Horizontal Pole
          <http://hammockzzz-smokerzzz.com/_wsn/page2.html>
          <http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6934983-0-large.jpg>

          2 stick inverted "V"