Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy vs Clark vs ?

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
      My husband uses that sort of white foam all the time! It's sold in
      Taiwan for use as sleeping pads and tent floor liners. It comes with a
      silver-mylar-like coating on one side and is surprisingly durable.

      CL

      Neal wrote:
      > Has anyone ever used the White foam for
      > packaging furniture as a lightweight summer insulation? A good size
      > weighs only 50 grams.
    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
        That's true...the mosquito netting has done just fine...we've got these strange little biters in the summer months that could get through the netting, but they, curiously, don't jump that high so I just hang my hammock up a little higher than I usually do and I'm fine.

        Last weekend's campout in the mountains (had clouds hitting me on the ridgeline, pouring rain, hot blistering days, and intermittent strong winds coupled with hauntingly calm) I actually sweated in my JH (used reflectivix pad) and I did notice the lingering smell of night sweat soaked up in the polyester...once sufficiently aired out, though, it was just fine...my sleeping bag held on to the odors in the same way...not too big of a deal once dried out in sunlight. ;o)

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 28, 2008
          Dave et al

          After carefully comparing all of the options between the 3 choices
          Mosquito Hammock, Hennessy Expedition and the Clark Hammock I chose
          the Mosquito Hammock and the Diamond Fly. Reason # 1 was the flat
          double "floor", Reason # 2 was reports of stuff falling out of the
          entrance of the hennessy. #3 As much as I like Velcro, It does tend to
          get dirty/gunked up after a while. #4 Those pockets on the Clark
          website REALLY look busy. The perfect dirt catcher. Also they only
          "Insulate" in the Arse area in the lightweight one. # 5 The straps on
          the Mosquito are easily removable and an extra Knot and tree hugger
          straps are not needed as with the other two. I wonder why the Mosquito
          Hammock doesn't sew a loop on one end of each strap.

          Thanks to all for the great informationNeal

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol,

          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 30, 2008
            Neal:

            Here's another bonus. When you get your Mosquito Hammock, you'll roll it
            out on the floor and have a "geez" moment when you realize it's just
            three layers of fabric with a casing at either end and a zipper on one
            side. (Well, not quite that simple, but utterly no fancy cuts or
            curves.)

            You may be encouraged to try making your own after all. If you fold and
            tie the ends, you don't even have to sew. You can see my attempt at
            improving on Tom Claytor's design in my images folder (Photos > Bear's
            Pix). I call it my "Dream Hammock" so all the pictures are prefixed with
            "DH."

            I sewed a casing (rather my sweetie-pie did) but there's no reason why
            you couldn't fold and tie layers. I'm going to do that next time I get
            ambitious.

            Bear

          • Brian H
            Message 5 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
              I just came across a couple pounds of down/feather mix (probably 500 fill).
              My thought is to use some of my Wally World $1/yd 1.1 oz ripstop and sew up
              a summer quilt.

              The final dimensions ideally will be 76x48, with an omni tape and drawstring
              footbox. This is for use in a spear type hammock.

              My question to the group is, how much additional length/width should I allow
              for, knowing that I will lose some with the sewn through design, and about
              how far apart should the down channels be?

              Thanks,

              Brian H
              Folsom, CA
              Message 6 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I'm no expert on quilt making, but I'd guess that the loss of length wouldn't be much because of the sewn through construction, but I'd allow for at least 2 or 3".
                   I do know that it would be better to end up w/ an extra inch or two rather than coming up short in width/length.

                   Again, I'm not the expert, but I'd say no more than about 8" wide baffles. If they are to wide, there's not enough control of the down, allowing thick & thin spots. ...Tim

                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                  My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                  threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                  held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                  "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                  The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                  didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                  construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                  7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                  well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                  product.
                • billybob38801
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                    I would also like to add about the Claytor No Net version: What ever
                    the benefits or drawbacks of these particular hammocks might be, one
                    advantage is that the Speer PeaPod works superbly with this hammock,
                    even better than it does with most top loaders. I believe that is only
                    because it is a more narrow hammock than most. Again, whatever the
                    overall benefits or negatives of a more narrow hammmock might be, it
                    allows the PeaPod to lay down on the top of my body pretty much as if
                    I was on the ground in a down sleeping bag. IOW, there is little or no
                    air space above my body- caused by the hammock sides holding the Pod
                    above your body- that needs to be filled with a top quilt. Although,
                    this will vary a bit depending on the amount of sag you hand the
                    hammock with. But it always works good!

                    In addition, for whatever reason, the bottom layer seems extra easy to
                    adjust so that it is just barely in contact with my while still
                    maintaining FULL loft. This is one warm, easy to use combo!

                    All of these hammocks have their pros and cons, and I don't like
                    everything about the Claytor NN, though it is one of my favorite
                    hammocks overall. But I just thought I would point out, for those
                    considering one of these hammocks, how GREAT it works with the already
                    wonderful PeaPod. I also have a Claytor jungle. and it works as well
                    with it if you turn the Claytor over, though I'm not yet sure I like
                    the feel of the JH as well once it is turned upside down. But it will
                    work.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                    > My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                    > threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                    > held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                    > "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                    > The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                    > didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                    > construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                    > 7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                    > well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                    > product.

                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                      The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

                      Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

                      I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
                        Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
                        feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

                        Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
                        have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
                        hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
                        the mosquito NN has me about to order.

                        I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
                        cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
                        ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
                        sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

                        The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
                        want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
                        necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
                        like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
                        easily added to an open style hammock.

                        I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
                        rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
                        ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
                        interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
                        hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
                        stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
                        because of heavy rain clouds.

                        Best, Todd F.
                      • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                          Tom and all:

                          Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
                          utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
                          of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
                          difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
                          generally use.

                          Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

                          Bear

                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                            I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

                            I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

                            I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                              I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
                              Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

                              > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
                              moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
                              the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
                              yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
                              wider hammock.

                              > Tom

                            • wisedove_wisedove
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                                model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                                son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                                Dove --