Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy vs Clark vs ?

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 25, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol,
      Security)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

      > Neal:
      > I like the Expedition model best, but have one or two of each
      > model.
      >
      > www.mosquitohammock.com
      >
      > They are the best of all worlds in a pre-made hammock AFAIC.

      I looked at the site. The Expedition has a double bottom. I really
      like that because I can put a pad between and it shouldn't slip
      around. It doesn't seem to have a tarp on the top though I have one
      that I use with my present hammock. Looks like time to reconsider.
    • Neal
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
        You know the more that I look at the site, the better I like it. The
        double bottom is really nice. I am looking at the the expedition with
        the diamond fly option. The last time I used my Pack'N'Go hammock, it
        was with a rectangular fly stretched diagonally. I only noticed slight
        cold spots on the bottom. Has anyone ever used the White foam for
        packaging furniture as a lightweight summer insulation? A good size
        weighs only 50 grams.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol,
        Security)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

        > Neal:
        >
        > I feel like a broken record about this, but I always recommend Mosquito
        > Hammocks. I like the Expedition model best, but have one or two of each
        > model.
        >
        > www.mosquitohammock.com
        >
        > They are the best of all worlds in a pre-made hammock AFAIC.
        >
        > You have a built-in mosquito net, but you can flip the whole thing over
        > and lounge around on an open hammock during the day.
        >
        > Bear

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
          That double-bottom is also important for keeping off mosquitoes.
          According to the Hennessey Hammock website, mosquitoes have a seriously
          hard time biting through two layers of cloth. When it's really hot out,
          we're not going to be interested in insulation or wearing more clothing
          than we have to. A double-bottom will be cooler than a full outfit of
          long sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks. Also, when it's really hot
          out and if you don't need to worry about the micro-sized biters, then
          the mosquito netting of the mosquito hammock will allow a whole lot more
          air circulation than the no-see-um netting of other hammocks.

          My only concern with the polyester in the Mosquito Hammocks is that
          polyester tends to retain odor faster, more penetratingly, and longer
          than nylon.

          CL

          mrbyer wrote:
          > And don't forget the double bottom to put a pad. Great feature.
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...>
          > wrote:
          >> I agree...I think they are a pretty good deal, even though they're
          > now $150 each...but you get not only a hammock with a spreadable
          > mosquito netting (it isn't no-see-um netting) and a ykk zippered
          > entrance, but a camo. diamond shaped tarp to go with it.
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
            My husband uses that sort of white foam all the time! It's sold in
            Taiwan for use as sleeping pads and tent floor liners. It comes with a
            silver-mylar-like coating on one side and is surprisingly durable.

            CL

            Neal wrote:
            > Has anyone ever used the White foam for
            > packaging furniture as a lightweight summer insulation? A good size
            > weighs only 50 grams.
          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
              That's true...the mosquito netting has done just fine...we've got these strange little biters in the summer months that could get through the netting, but they, curiously, don't jump that high so I just hang my hammock up a little higher than I usually do and I'm fine.

              Last weekend's campout in the mountains (had clouds hitting me on the ridgeline, pouring rain, hot blistering days, and intermittent strong winds coupled with hauntingly calm) I actually sweated in my JH (used reflectivix pad) and I did notice the lingering smell of night sweat soaked up in the polyester...once sufficiently aired out, though, it was just fine...my sleeping bag held on to the odors in the same way...not too big of a deal once dried out in sunlight. ;o)

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 28, 2008
                Dave et al

                After carefully comparing all of the options between the 3 choices
                Mosquito Hammock, Hennessy Expedition and the Clark Hammock I chose
                the Mosquito Hammock and the Diamond Fly. Reason # 1 was the flat
                double "floor", Reason # 2 was reports of stuff falling out of the
                entrance of the hennessy. #3 As much as I like Velcro, It does tend to
                get dirty/gunked up after a while. #4 Those pockets on the Clark
                website REALLY look busy. The perfect dirt catcher. Also they only
                "Insulate" in the Arse area in the lightweight one. # 5 The straps on
                the Mosquito are easily removable and an extra Knot and tree hugger
                straps are not needed as with the other two. I wonder why the Mosquito
                Hammock doesn't sew a loop on one end of each strap.

                Thanks to all for the great informationNeal

                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 30, 2008
                  Neal:

                  Here's another bonus. When you get your Mosquito Hammock, you'll roll it
                  out on the floor and have a "geez" moment when you realize it's just
                  three layers of fabric with a casing at either end and a zipper on one
                  side. (Well, not quite that simple, but utterly no fancy cuts or
                  curves.)

                  You may be encouraged to try making your own after all. If you fold and
                  tie the ends, you don't even have to sew. You can see my attempt at
                  improving on Tom Claytor's design in my images folder (Photos > Bear's
                  Pix). I call it my "Dream Hammock" so all the pictures are prefixed with
                  "DH."

                  I sewed a casing (rather my sweetie-pie did) but there's no reason why
                  you couldn't fold and tie layers. I'm going to do that next time I get
                  ambitious.

                  Bear

                • Brian H
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
                    I just came across a couple pounds of down/feather mix (probably 500 fill).
                    My thought is to use some of my Wally World $1/yd 1.1 oz ripstop and sew up
                    a summer quilt.

                    The final dimensions ideally will be 76x48, with an omni tape and drawstring
                    footbox. This is for use in a spear type hammock.

                    My question to the group is, how much additional length/width should I allow
                    for, knowing that I will lose some with the sewn through design, and about
                    how far apart should the down channels be?

                    Thanks,

                    Brian H
                    Folsom, CA
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                        I'm no expert on quilt making, but I'd guess that the loss of length wouldn't be much because of the sewn through construction, but I'd allow for at least 2 or 3".
                         I do know that it would be better to end up w/ an extra inch or two rather than coming up short in width/length.

                         Again, I'm not the expert, but I'd say no more than about 8" wide baffles. If they are to wide, there's not enough control of the down, allowing thick & thin spots. ...Tim

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                        My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                        threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                        held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                        "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                        The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                        didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                        construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                        7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                        well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                        product.
                      • billybob38801
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                          I would also like to add about the Claytor No Net version: What ever
                          the benefits or drawbacks of these particular hammocks might be, one
                          advantage is that the Speer PeaPod works superbly with this hammock,
                          even better than it does with most top loaders. I believe that is only
                          because it is a more narrow hammock than most. Again, whatever the
                          overall benefits or negatives of a more narrow hammmock might be, it
                          allows the PeaPod to lay down on the top of my body pretty much as if
                          I was on the ground in a down sleeping bag. IOW, there is little or no
                          air space above my body- caused by the hammock sides holding the Pod
                          above your body- that needs to be filled with a top quilt. Although,
                          this will vary a bit depending on the amount of sag you hand the
                          hammock with. But it always works good!

                          In addition, for whatever reason, the bottom layer seems extra easy to
                          adjust so that it is just barely in contact with my while still
                          maintaining FULL loft. This is one warm, easy to use combo!

                          All of these hammocks have their pros and cons, and I don't like
                          everything about the Claytor NN, though it is one of my favorite
                          hammocks overall. But I just thought I would point out, for those
                          considering one of these hammocks, how GREAT it works with the already
                          wonderful PeaPod. I also have a Claytor jungle. and it works as well
                          with it if you turn the Claytor over, though I'm not yet sure I like
                          the feel of the JH as well once it is turned upside down. But it will
                          work.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                          > My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                          > threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                          > held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                          > "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                          > The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                          > didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                          > construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                          > 7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                          > well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                          > product.

                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                            The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

                            Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

                            I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
                              Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
                              feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

                              Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
                              have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
                              hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
                              the mosquito NN has me about to order.

                              I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
                              cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
                              ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
                              sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

                              The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
                              want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
                              necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
                              like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
                              easily added to an open style hammock.

                              I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
                              rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
                              ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
                              interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
                              hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
                              stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
                              because of heavy rain clouds.

                              Best, Todd F.
                            • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                Tom and all:

                                Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
                                utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
                                of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
                                difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
                                generally use.

                                Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

                                Bear

                              • Tom Frazier
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                  I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

                                  I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

                                  I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                                    I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
                                    Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

                                    > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
                                    moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
                                    the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
                                    yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
                                    wider hammock.

                                    > Tom

                                  • wisedove_wisedove
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                      Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                                      model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                                      son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                                      Dove --