Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy vs Clark vs ?

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 25, 2008
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol,
      Security)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

      > Neal:
      > I like the Expedition model best, but have one or two of each
      > model.
      >
      > www.mosquitohammock.com
      >
      > They are the best of all worlds in a pre-made hammock AFAIC.

      I looked at the site. The Expedition has a double bottom. I really
      like that because I can put a pad between and it shouldn't slip
      around. It doesn't seem to have a tarp on the top though I have one
      that I use with my present hammock. Looks like time to reconsider.
    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 25, 2008
        I agree...I think they are a pretty good deal, even though they're now $150 each...but you get not only a hammock with a spreadable mosquito netting (it isn't no-see-um netting) and a ykk zippered entrance, but a camo. diamond shaped tarp to go with it. The only way that I think I can personally improve upon his hammock design is to make one myself! ;o)

        I also bought the Speer Winter Tarp too (www.speerhammocks.com), and mainly use that since I'm often in mountainous areas where the weather typically changes from snowing, to raining, to terribly windy to calm all within a remarkably short amount of time...highly recommend it!!

        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
          And don't forget the double bottom to put a pad. Great feature.

          > I agree...I think they are a pretty good deal, even though they're
          now $150 each...but you get not only a hammock with a spreadable
          mosquito netting (it isn't no-see-um netting) and a ykk zippered
          entrance, but a camo. diamond shaped tarp to go with it. The only way
          that I think I can personally improve upon his hammock design is to
          make one myself! ;o)

          > I also bought the Speer Winter Tarp too (www.speerhammocks.com), and
          mainly use that since I'm often in mountainous areas where the weather
          typically changes from snowing, to raining, to terribly windy to calm
          all within a remarkably short amount of time...highly recommend it!!

          6/25/2008 9:46 AM

        • Neal
          Message 4 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
            You know the more that I look at the site, the better I like it. The
            double bottom is really nice. I am looking at the the expedition with
            the diamond fly option. The last time I used my Pack'N'Go hammock, it
            was with a rectangular fly stretched diagonally. I only noticed slight
            cold spots on the bottom. Has anyone ever used the White foam for
            packaging furniture as a lightweight summer insulation? A good size
            weighs only 50 grams.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F (GE EntSol,
            Security)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

            > Neal:
            >
            > I feel like a broken record about this, but I always recommend Mosquito
            > Hammocks. I like the Expedition model best, but have one or two of each
            > model.
            >
            > www.mosquitohammock.com
            >
            > They are the best of all worlds in a pre-made hammock AFAIC.
            >
            > You have a built-in mosquito net, but you can flip the whole thing over
            > and lounge around on an open hammock during the day.
            >
            > Bear

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
              That double-bottom is also important for keeping off mosquitoes.
              According to the Hennessey Hammock website, mosquitoes have a seriously
              hard time biting through two layers of cloth. When it's really hot out,
              we're not going to be interested in insulation or wearing more clothing
              than we have to. A double-bottom will be cooler than a full outfit of
              long sleeved shirts, long pants, and socks. Also, when it's really hot
              out and if you don't need to worry about the micro-sized biters, then
              the mosquito netting of the mosquito hammock will allow a whole lot more
              air circulation than the no-see-um netting of other hammocks.

              My only concern with the polyester in the Mosquito Hammocks is that
              polyester tends to retain odor faster, more penetratingly, and longer
              than nylon.

              CL

              Message 6 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
                My husband uses that sort of white foam all the time! It's sold in
                Taiwan for use as sleeping pads and tent floor liners. It comes with a
                silver-mylar-like coating on one side and is surprisingly durable.

                CL

                Neal wrote:
                > Has anyone ever used the White foam for
                > packaging furniture as a lightweight summer insulation? A good size
                > weighs only 50 grams.
              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 26 , Jun 26, 2008
                  That's true...the mosquito netting has done just fine...we've got these strange little biters in the summer months that could get through the netting, but they, curiously, don't jump that high so I just hang my hammock up a little higher than I usually do and I'm fine.

                  Last weekend's campout in the mountains (had clouds hitting me on the ridgeline, pouring rain, hot blistering days, and intermittent strong winds coupled with hauntingly calm) I actually sweated in my JH (used reflectivix pad) and I did notice the lingering smell of night sweat soaked up in the polyester...once sufficiently aired out, though, it was just fine...my sleeping bag held on to the odors in the same way...not too big of a deal once dried out in sunlight. ;o)

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jun 28, 2008
                    Dave et al

                    After carefully comparing all of the options between the 3 choices
                    Mosquito Hammock, Hennessy Expedition and the Clark Hammock I chose
                    the Mosquito Hammock and the Diamond Fly. Reason # 1 was the flat
                    double "floor", Reason # 2 was reports of stuff falling out of the
                    entrance of the hennessy. #3 As much as I like Velcro, It does tend to
                    get dirty/gunked up after a while. #4 Those pockets on the Clark
                    website REALLY look busy. The perfect dirt catcher. Also they only
                    "Insulate" in the Arse area in the lightweight one. # 5 The straps on
                    the Mosquito are easily removable and an extra Knot and tree hugger
                    straps are not needed as with the other two. I wonder why the Mosquito
                    Hammock doesn't sew a loop on one end of each strap.

                    Thanks to all for the great informationNeal

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jun 30, 2008
                      Neal:

                      Here's another bonus. When you get your Mosquito Hammock, you'll roll it
                      out on the floor and have a "geez" moment when you realize it's just
                      three layers of fabric with a casing at either end and a zipper on one
                      side. (Well, not quite that simple, but utterly no fancy cuts or
                      curves.)

                      You may be encouraged to try making your own after all. If you fold and
                      tie the ends, you don't even have to sew. You can see my attempt at
                      improving on Tom Claytor's design in my images folder (Photos > Bear's
                      Pix). I call it my "Dream Hammock" so all the pictures are prefixed with
                      "DH."

                      I sewed a casing (rather my sweetie-pie did) but there's no reason why
                      you couldn't fold and tie layers. I'm going to do that next time I get
                      ambitious.

                      Bear

                    • Brian H
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 1, 2008
                        I just came across a couple pounds of down/feather mix (probably 500 fill).
                        My thought is to use some of my Wally World $1/yd 1.1 oz ripstop and sew up
                        a summer quilt.

                        The final dimensions ideally will be 76x48, with an omni tape and drawstring
                        footbox. This is for use in a spear type hammock.

                        My question to the group is, how much additional length/width should I allow
                        for, knowing that I will lose some with the sewn through design, and about
                        how far apart should the down channels be?

                        Thanks,

                        Brian H
                        Folsom, CA
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 2, 2008
                            I'm no expert on quilt making, but I'd guess that the loss of length wouldn't be much because of the sewn through construction, but I'd allow for at least 2 or 3".
                             I do know that it would be better to end up w/ an extra inch or two rather than coming up short in width/length.

                             Again, I'm not the expert, but I'd say no more than about 8" wide baffles. If they are to wide, there's not enough control of the down, allowing thick & thin spots. ...Tim

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                            My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                            threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                            held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                            "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                            The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                            didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                            construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                            7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                            well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                            product.
                          • billybob38801
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                              I would also like to add about the Claytor No Net version: What ever
                              the benefits or drawbacks of these particular hammocks might be, one
                              advantage is that the Speer PeaPod works superbly with this hammock,
                              even better than it does with most top loaders. I believe that is only
                              because it is a more narrow hammock than most. Again, whatever the
                              overall benefits or negatives of a more narrow hammmock might be, it
                              allows the PeaPod to lay down on the top of my body pretty much as if
                              I was on the ground in a down sleeping bag. IOW, there is little or no
                              air space above my body- caused by the hammock sides holding the Pod
                              above your body- that needs to be filled with a top quilt. Although,
                              this will vary a bit depending on the amount of sag you hand the
                              hammock with. But it always works good!

                              In addition, for whatever reason, the bottom layer seems extra easy to
                              adjust so that it is just barely in contact with my while still
                              maintaining FULL loft. This is one warm, easy to use combo!

                              All of these hammocks have their pros and cons, and I don't like
                              everything about the Claytor NN, though it is one of my favorite
                              hammocks overall. But I just thought I would point out, for those
                              considering one of these hammocks, how GREAT it works with the already
                              wonderful PeaPod. I also have a Claytor jungle. and it works as well
                              with it if you turn the Claytor over, though I'm not yet sure I like
                              the feel of the JH as well once it is turned upside down. But it will
                              work.

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Neal" <nealaustin@...> wrote:

                              > My Mosquito Hammock came in the mail and I tried it out last night. I
                              > threw it up with some crappy knots. It was pitch dark but the knots
                              > held well. I think the straps were the reason. It comes with these
                              > "military style" looking straps that had hardly any stretch at all.
                              > The hammock that I had previously bound me at the shoulders. The MH
                              > didn't at all. This is one sweet hammock with very simple
                              > construction. It does weigh in a little bit heavy at 1560 grams (3 lbs
                              > 7oz) with the diamond tarp but is pretty rugged. The fly really covers
                              > well.I am one happy camper. Thanks Tom Claytor for a really superb
                              > product.

                            • Tom Frazier
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 14, 2008
                                The Claytor mosquito hammock *is* nice....I got one earlier this year and have used it on many, many camping trips since. I don't really have any complaints, but I do intend on replacing those ropes. Just last night I was hanging in the mountains between two trees that were a little too far apart, so I had to improvise between some 3' ft. tree hugger straps (held together with loops on the ends and a carabiner) and tying the jungle hammock (the version I have) off onto the carabiners.

                                Outside of the ideal 10' to 15' foot range, the ropes will tend to stretch like a spring. You'll notice very shortly that small fibers will start to separate (i.e. get "fuzzy") and the ropes will start sticking to the tree trunks you're tying to. I'm going to remedy this by using a cinch buckle and a 1" inch wide strap (climbing grade)....that should remedy both the issue with fraying and sticking to the tree trunks as well as the "stretch" of the stock ropes...plus, using the cinch buckles, I only have to worry about one strap for each side and can put them in their own bag (ropes tend to collect pine sap and other things I don't want on my hammock) as well as the benefit of an easy adjustment method using the cinch buckles.

                                I love this hammock, though! It took me some time to get used to camping and sleeping in a hammock, but now that I've used it so much I fall asleep rather quickly and get some really good quality sleep out where I'd normally be sleeping on rocks and fallen branches. Hammocks are defininately the way to go! I just need to get my two kids and my wife set up now. ;o)

                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 15, 2008
                                  Is the consensus that the mosquito NN is MORE comfortable and roomier
                                  feeling than the Speer, for those that are commenting here?

                                  Excellent info on the mosquito, a new item to me with this thread. I
                                  have one of the fabulous and unique PeaPods, but the stock Speer
                                  hammock could be more comfortable for me. Reports here that it fits
                                  the mosquito NN has me about to order.

                                  I also have a Hennessey that I almost never use. I was thinking of
                                  cutting the net off and trying it with the Pea Pod, after making the
                                  ridgeline detachable, but the mosquito sounds better. Maybe I can
                                  sell my HH to someone who needs a full time bug net.

                                  The Hennessey is a brilliant piece of design, no doubt, but I don't
                                  want a bug net between me and the stars except when it's absolutely
                                  necessary, rare to never in California high desert and Sierra. I do
                                  like a hammock ridge line so I can hang stuff off it, but that's
                                  easily added to an open style hammock.

                                  I modified my MacCat fly to furl down to it's own ridge line/support
                                  rope using HH "snake skins". This makes an independently tied, fat
                                  ridgeline higher above the hammock. Same deal -- little or no
                                  interference with sky views, with air or with easy in and out of the
                                  hammock. I unfurl the fly and drop the attached cords and captive
                                  stakes down only when weather demands it. Like when the stars go out
                                  because of heavy rain clouds.

                                  Best, Todd F.
                                • Chinell, David F (GE EntSol, Security)
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                    Tom and all:

                                    Don't forget to tie higher up on trees that are farther apart. I was
                                    utterly baffled at the different "stretch" performance I was getting out
                                    of the same polyester webbing until I realized there was a substantial
                                    difference in the space between my test trees and the forest trees I
                                    generally use.

                                    Changing the angle changes the tension you put on the straps.

                                    Bear

                                  • Tom Frazier
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 17, 2008
                                      I'm going to switch to 1" climbing straps to prevent any stretch, but mostly so I can use the cinch buckles to make adjustments a cinch. ;o)

                                      I've only sagged once, and the reason was because the two trees I tied to were *really* far apart. I even had to use tree hugger straps just to cover the distance! I'm going to eliminate the need for having extra straps and instead of two cords I'll just have one strap to put a rain diverting felt cloth onto.

                                      I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a wider hammock.

                                      Tom

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 18, 2008
                                        I also noticed that I am much flatter with a less diagonal lie in the
                                        Claytor when compared to my other hammocks

                                        > I noticed, though, that I do like the tauter tie rather than having
                                        moderate to severe sag. Though, I think that has mostly to do with
                                        the fact that the Claytor JH is only 3' wide, so you can't angle
                                        yourself at a severe angle to lay flat like you'd be able to with a
                                        wider hammock.

                                        > Tom

                                      • wisedove_wisedove
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                                          Did you say you might want to sell your HH? I am interested... what
                                          model would you be selling? I have two, but need a third for my
                                          son... grown boy, 185 lbs at least.
                                          Dove --